Czech - Why am I getting ITALIAN examples from "My

Czech - Why am I getting ITALIAN examples from “My Lessons”? How do I get Czech or turn this OFF? Also definitions are so various in meaning, often given in other languages, and there is no dictionary support, that this looks hopeless. Where is the course Steve keeps mentioning in all his videos touting how he learned Czech “the LingQ way”!!!

Hi, I am not sure, what is your “native language” settings in Settings (top right menu under your nickname)? (I am using English interface, if you are using a different one, it can be something else than Settings.)

By definition you probably mean user hints - they are so various because different users made them in this way. It could be also caused by wrong native language settings.

When you click on a new word, you can choose instead of “View Dictionary” the “Edit Dictionary Settings” and add more dictionaries. Then, you can choose one of the dictionaries which suits you well.

I agree that this page is chaotic for the first time.

The user hints are often in other languages – i.e. in French or Russian, not English which is what I selected. The EXAMPLES below all this chaos were, in this instance, sentences from ITALIAN lessons, where " tu" means something completely different. Also, for Czech, there isn’t even one default dictionary suggested. Sometimes in the early lessons, I can see ALL suggestions re meaning are wrong!! I am entering my own hints based on what I THINK I already know. ARRRRRGH! This is not BETA, this is a do-it-yourself obstacle course!!

Also, translating idioms with word-by-word meanings gives extremely off-base meanings. I am putting the entire text into Google Translate now to check what it means … as far as Google can handle it, which isn’t saying much!! When I have something that looks true, I make a LingQ of the the phrase. Phrases for idioms (e.g. Je mi to líto) should be automatic units. Same with translating the past tense (e.g. Viděl jsi) as 2 separate words. Where is the developer on this?

You are asking Czech speakers on a specific forum for this particular language. If you have technical questions, you should ask them in the corresponding forum (see link “Forum” on the top of the page).

How would you program the software to automatically recognise whole phrases or idioms? For several languages. And consider that the same thing could be written in multiple ways…

To the uncorrect/ imprecise translation: I think that is does not matter so much if your first guess (and so the first hint) is incorrect or imprecise. If you encounter the same word next time in a different context, you can correct you hint. The method shoud work this way.

But I really recommend to repost you question somewhere else, I am not an expert, I am just a (content) user of this site.

First of all, click your name on the upper right hand corner and choose settings, then change your Interface Language & Dictionary Language to English. Then click on the Ling icon in the upper right hand corner and watch the into video that’s on your wall. Oh, and by the way, take a deep breath and relax.

Thanks for your efforts. Unfortunately, all my language selections in settings already are already in English. That’s why it was so surprising and annoying to see all the examples in Italian when I wanted the Czech meaning of “tu”. I have watched perhaps 15 of Steve’s videos. When you say “wall” are you talking about the intro videos under Academy?

I got a good hint from Alex (at Admin) on what to do when my hints come up in other languages, despite my having chosen English in my settings: click on the flag.

Second question: Do you have dictionaries automatically linked to your Czech lessons? If so, what are they?

It has been a while since I did Czech. I don’t know why you are having these problems. Maybe Alex will be able to answer. I found Seznam to be an excellent dictionary, and google translate wasn’t too bad too.

You can over ride a translation if it’s wrong - or there are maybe two meanings and Google Translate gives you the one that you don’t want.

So learners of your target language who are not native English speakers may be using an English dictionary but then overwriting to provide their own translations into their own native language…

These then come up among the alternatives when you click these words. But you will find an English translation there among the translations…

I have Scandinavian translations come up in my Dutch even though I am using an English dictionary. As pmilone says … just gotta relax about it… it’ll all come out in the wash…

Yes, there must be a lot of (apparently) Russian speakers learning Czech! Sometimes 2 choices out of the 3 are in Cyrillic. Maybe what you explain also means that if other students of Czech don’t guess the meaning correctly and do this “overwriting,” that these hints could be misleading. Hmmm.