Creating hints

Lingq should allow a user to create a hint without him or her first having to click on a dictionary link. From context and other user’s hints, I know how I want my hint to be written without consulting a dictionary. Having to click on ‘dictionary’ repeatedly gets annoying because it slows down the process of creating lingqsl

I don’t understand what the difference would be between that and just clicking on the dictionary link and then typing in the hint without looking at the dictionary results.

@Sratica - What you might want to try is clicking the pencil located next to a hint. This will select the hint displayed, but you can delete that hint and add your own without the dictionary showing up.

Oh thaaaaaaaaat’s what the pencil is for. I always wondered and never had the audacity to try clicking on it and seeing what would happen.

Thanks Alex! I finally/accidentally figured that out. I also just realized that I should check the email address that I linked to my lingq account a little more often. I do find the lingq site to be a little too busy. I’m still trying to figure it all out. Thanks again!

@Sratica - OK, glad you got it figured out! Also, for some guides on how to use the site, be sure to take a look at our Getting Started video series: null - YouTube

@Alex “What you might want to try is clicking the pencil located next to a hint. This will select the hint displayed, but you can delete that hint and add your own without the dictionary showing up.”

Well, I’ve been using the pencil since it was added. I just used it again a minute ago, and I’m sorry to report that the dictionary DOES show up every time even if I click on the pencil. Or maybe does this happen because I clicked on a Google Translator hint rather than a user hint? Any explanation will be welcomed.

I just tried to edit a user hint with the pencil, and the dictionary did show up again.

I don’t understand. Is this a problem? Couldn’t you just ignore the dictionary? Or do you have one of those ones that pops up in a different window?

I don’t use the pencil. I just link the word and then go back to it and edit the definition if I want to.

Well, usually if you edit an existing hint, it’s because you already know what to write in your new hint. It takes some seconds to open the dictionary and the most annoying issue is that the cursor always moves from the hint box to the dictionary search box, so you need to click on the hint box again in order to type your hint. This is the main reason why I would expect the dictionary not to open up when using the pencil.

Ah ok. That makes sense.

Any answers to my remarks, please? :slight_smile:

@mikebond - Ah, yes. I added this to our list and we’ll take a look at this soon to decide what we’ll do.

Thanks for your answer, Alex.

Yes, I also find this annoying and would like to add some support to the demand from Michele. If you too quickly click in the edit box, the focus moves back to the dictionary, so you need to click twice! I always wondered that nobody else was finding this annoying.
Thanks Alex for your investigations.

Just a heads up that we discussed this briefly today and have decided to leave it as is. This isn’t an obvious improvement for all users and for now we have too many other things to do. Thanks for your understanding.