Copy-and-paste, copy-paste, copy, or paste

“The term ‘copy-and-paste’ refers to the popular, simple method of reproducing text or other data from a source to a destination. It differs from cut and paste in that the original source text or data does not get deleted or removed. The popularity of this method stems from its simplicity and the ease with which users can move data between various applications visually – without resorting to permanent storage.
Once one has copied data into the clipboard, one may paste the contents of the clipboard into a destination document.”—Wikipedia

1. He copy-and-pasted the whole paragraph on the site into his post.
  2. He copy-pasted the whole paragraph on the site into his post.
  3. He copied the whole paragraph on the site into his post.
  4. He pasted the whole paragraph on the site into his post.
  5. He reproduced the whole paragraph from the site to his post.
  6. He reproduced the whole paragraph on the site to his post.
  7. He copied and pasted the whole paragraph from the site into his post.
  8. He copied several paragraphs from Benny’s site.
  9. He copied several paragraphs on Benny’s site.
  10. He copied them into the clipboard.
  11. Then, he pasted them into his post.
  12. He copied several paragraphs on the site, and pasted them into his post.
  13. He copy-pasted several paragraphs from the site into his post.
  14. He coped several paragraphs from the site into his post.
  15. He pasted several paragraphs from the site into his post.
  16. He copied several paragraphs (shown) on Benny’s site, and pasted them into his post.

Which sentence do you think is more natural?
(And who is “he”?)

(Edited.)

Thank you for an interesting question. I would have probably written “He copied the whole paragraph on from the site into his post,” because the other choices strike me as unnatural and (some of them) painful to hear. As it turns out the consensus wouldn’t contradict my choice, but there is some flexibility. There’s a pretty good discussion here:

My TL;DR for the above is:

1. “Copy” (or, arguably, “paste”) is sufficient by itself.
  2. “Copy-paste” is an acceptable alternative if you do not consider “copy” to be specific enough.
1 Like

He copied and pasted the whole paragraph from the site into his post.

3 Likes

Ahh, secret option No. 7! I also prefer this way.

1 Like
  1. He copy-and-pasted the whole paragraph on the site into his post.
  2. He copy-pasted the whole paragraph on the site into his post.
  3. He copied the whole paragraph on the site into his post.
  4. He pasted the whole paragraph on the site into his post.
  5. He reproduced the whole paragraph on the site to his post.
  • note sure about preposition on -
  1. He reproduced the whole paragraph from the site to his post.

I would say it is quite strange .

Maybe

He replicated /reduplicated the whole paragraph from the site , and he putted on his post .

Also as LILingquist suggests
‘’ He copied and pasted the whole paragraph from the site into his post. ‘’
would be more natural

Actually, copy-and-paste is the best strategy to create Anki Cards!!

Probably , you will not need that after like 10000 words .

Actually, we do. It depends how deep we want to go into the language and the language itself. 10,000 words might not be enough. I have the feeling that to speak we need to know about 5000 words, to listen-know 1000 sound-words, and to read = 15000-20000 words. Writing for me is not important because I think it is just speaking on paper! It all depends on our target. If the target is small talk, then it is much less. If the target is to join the culture and have access to literature, news, movies, etc. then these numbers my be right.

I would like to know your opinion about this video .

Thank you for your comments.

—Memo—

Copy and paste are both transitive verbs, so they need the object.
“From somewhere into somewhere” is a set phrase.

1. He copied and pasted the whole paragraph from the site into his post.
  2. He copied several paragraphs from Benny’s site.
  3. He copied several paragraphs on Benny’s site.
  4. He copied them into the clipboard.
  5. Then, he pasted them into his post.
  6. He copied several paragraphs on the site, and pasted them into his post.
  7. He copy-pasted several paragraphs from the site into his post.
  8. He coped several paragraphs from the site into his post.
  9. He pasted several paragraphs from the site into his post.
  10. He copied several paragraphs shown on Benny’s site, and pasted them into his post.

I added the 16th.

I love it. He described the problem and proposed a solution. ANKI is good at the beginner level. Using Anki to remember things later is not hot.

I would like to tell you how I use it now.

1. Audio book Listening practice. Cards have audio and English literal translations. I just listen while immerse in the language. Not checking on the meaning of any particular word or sentence., but paying attention of the audio itself. It is about 20 min.
  2. Verbs and interesting words listening. Cards have the audio. Tested for listening understanding. About 10 min.
  3. Passive reading vocabulary. 15,000 card desk. I review about 80 cards per day. It takes about 20 min. Probably by the end of next year I will drop it.

2 and 3 I do when I am in the gym. 1 is nicely done while drinking coffee.

Dealing with missed days. Very easy. I pass every card. After all, not word is really so important because there are millions of words in Polish.

This approach is geared toward listening which I found very hard since my native language is Spanish, and English my daily one.

I guess that I am weaning myself out from Anki slowly. I hope to just read, listen to the radio, and films by next year. Then I will listen to the radio in the gym.

‘’ He copied several paragraphs on Benny’s site. ‘’ , ‘’ He copied several paragraphs on the site, and pasted them into his post. ‘’

I would like to know what reference mentions ‘’ copy on ‘’ ? It seems strange to me perhaps ''copy from ‘’ would be more natural .

Thank you for your comment, Lightofgold.

There are several paragraphs on Benny’s site that were recently copied by Lightofgold, who then pasted them into his own post on the LingQ forum without mentioning the source of them. It constitutes a plagiarism, but he contends that plagiarism is in the eye of the beholder.

(Edited.)

There are several paragraphs on Benny’s site that were recently copied by Lightofgold.
—> Lightofgold recently copied several paragraphs (that were shown) on Benny’s site.
—> Lightofgold recently copied several paragraphs (that were) shown on Benny’s site.
—> Lightofgold recently copied several paragraphs shown on Benny’s site.

That is not a ‘’ reference ‘’ because ‘’ He copied several paragraphs on Benny’s site ‘’ is a sentence and
''There are several paragraphs on Benny’s site that were copied by Lightofgold, ‘’ is a whole different
sentence .

there is no such a thing - as far as i know - that is called ‘’ copy on ‘’ . ‘’ From’’ would be the right preposition

‘’ but he contends that plagiarism is in the eye of the beholder. ‘’

Well , at least we got to take hats off for that ‘’ Lightofgold ‘’ and his tenacity .

The verb “copy” seems to be transitive. It always needs the object of the action. “Copy on something” is not correct.

I found an example where the verb is used as an intransitive one.

“copy from one’s neighbor during an exam”
[ジーニアス英和(第4版)・和英(第2版)辞典]

‘’ The verb “copy” seems to be transitive. It always needs the object of the action. “Copy on something” is not correct. ‘’

The thing is you can not say

‘’ He copied several paragraphs on Benny’s site ‘’ IT MAKE NO SENSE

you can not say

copy something on something

‘’ I have to confess that your first post in English is hard to read. I wonder if you wrote it while sleeping.(This isn’t meant to be a joke.) ‘’

How about this?

“Lightofgold recently copied several paragraphs shown on Benny’s site.”

‘’ How about this? ‘’
" Lingofgold recently copied several paragraphs shown on Benny’s site."Import

Grammatically correct .

( Applause )