Coins and word count reversing

I’ve just started learning a new language and I don’t have any known words - I have highlighted all of them - yet today as I highlighted more words it has put the amount of words I know into negative i.e. negative words known and negative coins, decreasing evermore. I’ve never come across this before in the languages I’ve been learning on here, and it’s incredibly unhelpful. What can I do about this? Thanks in advance.

Edit: it also says I didn’t do anything yesterday. I logged into it today and it says zero days in a row, even though I spent at least half an hour on it last night and I linked about 40 words.

1 Like

My translation have largely stopped working (sentence mode, android tablet). That’s fundamental to comprehensible input, the point of Lingq.

3 Likes

We are looking into the issue. Thanks for your patience.

3 Likes

It happened regularly for me with German, so I stopped creating LingQs. Today I created some, and the lesson gave negative known words. LingQs are not worth bothering with.

I’m using Lingqs the way Steve uses them: I highlight every word since it’s a brand new language with a different alphabet system. I also highlight phrases then I put it into sentence mode so that I can review the words before moving to the next page. I will still use the Lingqs for this purpose but I’m hoping it’s only a glitch.

I saw on another old post that having negative coins was for when you highlight known words. I hope that’s not the case as I think is demoralising. Since it’s a language in s completely different alphabet, I have to keep reading the same page over and over again and it doesn’t register that I’m putting the effort in. Last night I spent a half hour on the same page and I’ve been on the same lesson for three days in a row but it says I have 0 streaks.

1 Like

Ah, I see what’s happening. Yes, you gain coins from LingQing new words, and you lose the coins you gained if you re-LingQ the same words, or if you decrease them in status. If you’re going over the same page over and over again, I can see how you might be losing more coins than you are gaining.

I have always simply moved on to the next page :thinking:

Moving on isn’t possible yet and I can’t move onto the next page since there’s just one page in the lesson. It’s a completely new alphabet so I have to spend time on the page so I can understand what is being said and to allow me to recognise the letters. I also haven’t linked the same words over again. I have just linked the words on the page I didn’t know (all of them) and I can’t re-link them as I haven’t learned them.

1 Like

These negative numbers will happen when you create LingQs from Known words.
When marking words known, you get coins, but if you later click on that same Known word, and create a LingQ of it, your coins get removed, and that is why the number can be negative.

1 Like