Catalan - Please Can We Add This Language to our Beta Collection?

I’ve already voted for Catalan and would appreciate it if some of you voted for Hungarian, too ;-).

I have already voted for Hungarian as well and hope I will study it soon, maybe in a couple of years. :slight_smile: It is the fourth most voted language right now, with 246 votes. Catalan has 338.

If people vote for my target language DANISH, I will vote for their wish languages as well.

Fasulye

I have already voted for all the European languages, so that includes Danish. :slight_smile:

Michele, is Belarusian in your list of the European languages? :wink:
Geografically Belarus looks like is in the cener of Europe but politically is out of it :slight_smile:

Yes, Belarusian is one of the languages I’m most longing for. I want to learn the European languages, not just the EU languages. :slight_smile:

Catalan is now at 347 votes. Awesome! We need to ride this momentum and keep on getting the word out. It’s very exciting!

The ranking as of now:

Thai 529 votes
Catalan 356
Greek 327
Hungarian 249

Thai? I don’t see Thai on the list

David, you only see the languages you or your friends have voted for. To see all the other languages, you need to click on the “X more” link at the bottom of the list. If you click there, you will most likely see Thai, too.

369 for Catalan. WOW! Really making progress now.

378 votes for Catalan now. I have just invited about 10-12 more people to vote and posted on some Catalan-related Facebook groups. Let’s see if it helps!

Back to 377… :frowning: Who is boycotting Catalan? :stuck_out_tongue:

Catalan is at 396 votes now, but it’s progressing quite slowly now… We need more help.

WOW! We have really come a long way 415 votes! Keep them coming!

Well, the vote progression has slowed down a lot recently. I have invited many people to vote and to join LingQ, but very few have done it. I sometimes feel like I am wasting my time…

Just some food for thought but I wonder if there might be a better way to go about adding beta languages? I’m pretty sure Steve and company don’t want to add a beta language to only have it forever linger in an unfinished state like many of the beta languages seem destined to do.

It would be nice to know what LingQ is looking at as criteria for moving a language from beta to supported. User activity would certainly factor in but even with users, I doubt LingQ would move a language to supported status without a certain number of lessons in the language’s library, a number of LingQs created by users, and some online dictionaries. Those are things that the community can help with. Maybe if LingQ can give the community some specific minimum requirements for a language to reach to become supported, then the community might be motivated to reach those requirements?

If languages could start graduating from beta to supported then maybe LingQ would be more interested in adding beta languages.

Now languages are getting votes in the LingQ - poll indepently whether LingQ-ers might want to study them or native speakers/fluent speakers of these languages might want to produce podcasts for these languages. It’s pure a popularity poll and after new languages get added nobody might study them or create content for them. Now many people vote for Catalan or Thai who never have the intention to study either of them.

Fasulye

I agree. I think the poll was an advertisement thing in the beginning. But it didn’t work like expected.

• Most voters were not LingQ members and had never the intention to join LingQ.
  • Languages were chosen where the interest was low to really study them, just to support friends.
  • Languages were chosen where we had no content providers.
  • And last but not least Languages were chosen where technical problems occurred that were never solved so you could not study them with the LingQ interface even if there is content and interest.

They simply set the number of votes needed so high, to not have introducing another language. Introducing new languages need programmer capacities. In their priority list introducing more languages is very low. New languages don’t bring enough NEW members that makes such an investement profitable enough. I have to admit that I can understand this. What I do not understand is that they make no efforts making the Beta languages that ARE introduced working properly.

Honestly I think that the interest in Catalan will not be very high. It is an interesting language for sure, but how many LingQ members will honestly study it? 5, 10 or more? How many NEW members will join LingQ when it is introduced? How many LingQ members are able to create lessons in Catalan?

Ummm yeah. No one is going to learn Catalan. In fact, I’d venture to say most people have never even heard of Catalan let alone know where it’s spoken. LingQ cares only about mainstream languages. Hell, that’s how I would run the site too.

There are so many ways LingQ needs to be improved. Beta languages are just a distraction