Captcha

I remember trying to do one of these captchas when signing up for some Chinese website. The words were Chinese characters and I had no idea what the pinyin for them were, so I could not type them myself. In the end, I just kept refreshing the captcha until it was made of several simple characters that I could then enter into the computer using the free hand drawing feature of my iPod.

Thanks for reporting some of the shortcomings of the captcha system we implemented. We realize that it is inconvenient compared to what was there before. Unfortunately we had to implement it to combat these recent malicious attacks. We will be working to improve it over the next little while so that regular contributing members are not affected. Please give us some time to implement these improvements.

I actually had to delete my post to edit errors in it. This was my original post.

“Man that captcha was brutal to go through. I had to make 4 attempts and I’m sure I was punching in the correct letters. Do you need to use cap locks? Someone mentioned that only paying members can comment on the forum and I like that idea. However the captcha’s that lingQ are using right now is off in my opinion, some I see pretty clearly and I get an invalid response. I have good eye sight and the fact I had such a hard time using it tells me something wrong with it.”

Hopefully things will go back to normal soon. I really enjoy using lingQ as a learning tool when it’s running smoothly.

I agree with Vera: please turn this off for paying members, or members who have posted enough times to be trustworthy.

Now, is that a PEPC or RFGE? Hmmm…

Nope, it’s neither…

@all - We’ll have an update to the Captcha today that should significantly improve things for our existing members (who are not spammers :P).

@Jamie - we are sorry for this inconvenience, but now the priority is to protect the site and prevent future malicious attacks. We will see what we can do to make it more convenient and easier for our members. Thanks for your understanding!

@Alex
you have updated? Nothing chanched.
Edit or delete isn’t possible, and if I try to use again and again the captcha, suddenly my writing is there more often, even there is written I have to correct the mistake.

UPS, I wanted to write to Alex - it was another Thread - and now I am here. It is mysteriously.

The captcha seems to be easier at the moment. I can read the letters better (but perhaps that is due to day light?) and I’ve noticed that when I press “Enter” within the Captcha box, it seems to work better than clicking “Post”.

We are planning to change the captcha, but I find that this one is getting easier, and I am afraid that we won’t like the new much better. WE will see.

Last week I saw a captcha consisting of a question and four icons. You were supposed to click the correct icon. Perhaps that is a good solution for LingQ? Sorry that I don’t remember which site it was.

It is much better now! The numbers are clear.
Thanks.

Numbers?

http://screencast.com/t/jwQoBKxgrw

What happens here? Minutes before, there were numbers, really good to read.
Now, there is text, two parts. One part is good to read, the other not.

@all - Our initial fix here was to replace the Captcha with the standard reCaptcha so that it is a bit easier to read and can be refreshed if you would like a new Captcha. Next up we’ll see if we can also add some logic to have the Captcha only show say for new members or after a certain number of consecutive posts.

Captcha is divided into two parts. Do we have to put both of them?

I did put both, and I was able to post successfully.
The edit function is working fine.

Some are numbers, and some are alphabets.

Thanks for changing the captcha! These digits are easier to read! I am now able to post with only one attempt, that’s fine!

Fasulye

No twisted characters?

What’s the problem? If you can’t read the numbers or letters then you can refresh it and get a new set. You can find something readable with one or two clicks.

I’ve seen this kind of captcha used in lots of places and it doesn’t bother me.

@LingQ team: thank you for the no-captcha!