Can I see my blue words in content?

Is there a way I can see a list of unknown (blue) words before I encounter them in the text? (While we’re at it, might as well see a list of yellow lingqs that appear in the text too).

I ask because my workflow is to listen a few times before reading. I’m wondering if it would be useful to look at and see some of the words and their meanings in a list prior to listening?

1 Like

Are you using a computer? Open the lesson, and in the top right corner of the lesson you can click to open a sidebar which contains a list of words. At the bottom of the sidebar is a set of 3 tabs; one of them is “all words” - that lists all the words in the lesson and indicates the status of each word. There you can see all the blue words. I don’t think there are definitions there, though.

Alternatively, if you have @roosterburton 's extensions, you can just open Rooster Observer to see all the words in the lesson together with definitions, create LingQ’s for the new words if you wish, etc.

Or just use Rooster’s AutoLingQ to turn all the blue words into yellow LingQ’s with status 1.

Then you can go to LingQ’s vocabulary listing, filter by status and sort by most recent, and see all the new LingQ’s you just created, together with their meanings, adjust as you like, etc. Probably can export to Anki.

The “flashcards” at the bottom right of the lesson might also be useful; once you’ve created the LingQ’s, you can go to “settings” to adjust the flashcards however you like.

4 Likes

For me, this sidebar only ever opens up for a split second before LingQ focuses in on a word in the text. During that split second, I can click on one of the three tabs, but it doesn’t matter, because LingQ always takes me to the word, and I can’t seem to get out of it.

[edit] I finally figured it out! I can click anywhere in the text window where there isn’t a word, and the word list window replaces the word window.

1 Like

Thanks! I usually use my phone but I’ll give the computer a go.

2 Likes