Butter the pan

“butter the pan” is a cooking term, I wonder if I can use “oil the pan” to mean that I use cooking oil to oil the pan? or oil as a verb is only used in machines?

Thank you!

Yes, you could say ‘oil the pan’. But it’s more common to say something like, ‘Add some oil to the pan’.

1 Like

Nay, spreading a coating of oil on a pan to prevent sticking would very commonly be called “oiling the pan”. I commonly oil my cast iron camp cookware after cleaning to prevent rust and to maintain the seasoning.

Yes you’re correct. “Hey James, do us a favour and oil that pan will you ?”