Bugs

I create them with the mouse. I click on them with the mouse, then I look over at my dashboard for choices. I almost never go into a dictionary, but choose one of the given options that appears initially and then go in and sometimes edit that option. Then I go back, and there is an auto-advance to the next blue word, and I do the same thing. Sometimes I will stop on a yellow word and change it’s status before moving on to another blue word. Sometimes I will be listening, starting and stopping the recording while I do all this.

@CTaylor - I am able to make this happen if I only use the mouse. We’re still not quite sure what causes it but we are continuing to try and figure it out. If you do notice any pattern in your actions that causes this to happen on demand, let us know.

ok

I have just experienced the same problem again, with a Swedish lesson. I had created LingQs for all the blue words (except a few that I marked as known), but two of them still appeared in the blue word list. The LingQs were created properly and didn’t include more than a word. If I remember well, I created both of those LingQs by selecting the proposed Google Translation from my keyboard.
When I refreshed the page, the blue words went down to 0, as usual.

SanneT’s conversation with Exodus appears on my timeline, then garbage appears (not sure what the technical term is). Pretty scary looking. Probably another person will notice this as well.

@mikebond - We understand the issue but we are unable to figure out what causes it. If you, too, can try to find the exact steps that make this happen, that would be a great help.

@Iri - Not sure what you mean. What are you seeing? Can you send a screenshot to support?

I’ll just wait and see if other people notice the same thing.

OK, I’ve ran into this again. I created a screencast and you can view it here:

http://screencast.com/t/2W0702iN

The LingQ in question reverts back to blue when the page is refreshed so maybe my issue is different. Otherwise it seems very similar to CTaylor and mikebond’s issue. When this has happened in the past, the problem LingQ would exhibit this behavior across multiple lessons. I can’t say for sure if it would be every lesson.

I didn’t notice the word until I finished the lesson so I can’t say with 100% certainty how I created the LingQ. That said, you’ll notice in the screencast that the word is behaving like no LingQs have been created for it. I believe I highlighted the definition from the jisho.org dictionary and copy/pasted it into the hint field. I have no idea if I did this entirely with the mouse or with Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V keyboard shortcuts as I frequently use both methods. I’m not sure if that helps at all though since I create many LingQs that way and this only happens a small percentage of the time (maybe every 300 LingQs or so?).

@cgreen0038 - Thanks for the screencast. We’ve been able to reproduce this issue and have now added it to our list. We’ll let you know if we need any additional information!

@cgreen0038 - OK, after some time we were able to figure out what was causing this. Unfortunately, it isn’t an easy fix. The good news is that it only affects a very small number of words, as you noted in your post above.

We weren’t able to come up with a quick fix that would resolve this cleanly, so for now we’ve added it to our list and will look at resolving it when we find time to improve the overall Japanese experience at LingQ. In the meantime, these words should still show up in your LingQs of the Day lists and will still be in your Vocab section if you want to review them.

OK, thanks for looking into this. So the issue I shared a screencast of is a Japanese specific issue?

@cgreen0038 - Yes, it is related to the splitter and how word boundaries change from time to time as we update the frequency lists to make the splitter “smarter”. Just a side effect that is troublesome to solve without rebuilding it from the ground up.

Regarding your other issue in the app, this is something that we are aiming to have fixed in our next major revision of iLingQ, so stay tuned!

I see. That would explain why the words that have display issues seem to change over time. I’m guessing the frequency list is updated at least in part by using LingQs created by the userbase? I oftentimes find that when I join multiple kanji or kana that have been improperly split that no LingQs have been created for that word.

By the way, I’m looking forward to the iLingQ update!

@cgreen0038 - Yup, that sounds about right :slight_smile: