Broken English

English is intriguingly difficult. The grammar is simpler than that of German, but this does not mean that you can master English more easily than German.

English has become the global language and everyone is supposed to have some knowledge of English. For this reason, people whose mother tongue is not English are in a disadvantaged position.

On the other hand, people whose mother tongue is English are perhaps going to feel that their English is being broken by non-native speakers. English as the global language might be, in a sense, a deteriorated form of English.

I shall now express my opinion in a nice long Germanic sentence or two:

As there are already a number of distinct ā€œofficialā€ English-es (!), which exist quite happily alongside each other, the current development of global or international English may also be contained in its own sphere, a communication tool for people in need of a lingua franca, occasionally leaking back into one of the standard forms of English, enriching it. Broken, or any pidgeon English is just another way of communicating.

Shakespeare would not easily recognise the English of Britain today and yet in the UK it is often thought that we here are the only ā€˜properā€™ English speakers. Throughout the centuries other languages have enriched English and will continue to do so. In a few hundred years someone will write on here that they cannot easily understand the English we were using in 2014!

Just curious.As you are a japanese.

My friends have told me that the pattern and the grammer in German are similar to Japaneseā€™s.

Is that true? Pardon me for digressing.

@boy039284686
German and Japanese are very different in their syntax.

I wonder how many or what percentage of the LingQ members, willingly or unwillingly, accept the expression, English as THE global language.

ā€œAnd how is it possible to warn our descendants of the deadly waste we left behind? How do we prevent them from thinking they have found the pyramids of our time, mystical burial grounds, hidden treasures? Which languages and signs will they understand?ā€
http://intoeternity.co.uk

If bad means good, in less than 100,000 years, ā€˜dangerousā€™ is likely to mean safe.

Are methods like the ā€œGeorgia Tombstoneā€ or the ā€œVoyager Golden Recordā€ - a good way to communicate with the ā€œfutureā€ or with ā€œothersā€?

Personally, I like Frescoā€™s viewpoint:

"In the future, people using computers could create a language that will provide closer understanding and a simpler structure, with less dependence on speech. For example, a series of signals combining acoustical, optical, olfactory, and teletactile electronic pattern will tell a story in seconds, rather than in many sentences or pages.

Such a methodology is not unlike that used by fish to find the Oronoco River when itā€™s thousands of miles away from their starting point, and they havenā€™t been there before.

Fish have receptors that sense the earthā€™s magnetic field, which to a large extent shapes their behaviour. In like manner imprinting in a bird probably elicits the nest-building pattern. When our technologies are more closely aligned with natural law,airplanes might use geomagnetic fields for navigation, just like birds.

A clearer, more efficient means of communicating would entail a more exact expression in human verbal interaction. It could encourage a new area of science, the science of significance and meaning. A more refined language could result in a rearrangement of the associative systems in the human brain, resulting in greater understanding and a reduction in conflict."

1 Like