"Basic Vocabulary" - say, the 1000-most used words for a language

Finally! I’m back on LingQ, after a very busy period of work and life drama. I’m going to have to do a much better job of keeping on track with my language goals. In fact, having dinner with my two best friends tonight, we all made some short-term goals, and we are going to hold each other to them. Mine: to reach a vocabulary of 1,000 Italian words by the end of August. I hope I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew.

I am going to start over on the conversations, listening, absorbing, reading. However, I would also like to “Post-It note” my house, with the names of household and work items (though I don’t think the cats will allow me to “post” them). Is there a resource to find the, say, 1000 most common Italian nouns? Not in place of LingQ, but to augment my studies? Is this even advisable? Or better to reach the 1000 words using the LingQ conversations alone?

Thanks for reading,
Mark

P.S. Now I’m going to have to check out LingQ on my iPad!

Mark, I look forward to a report on how your iPad works with LingQ.

You can try googling Italian verbs, or most common Italian words or whatever and import these into LingQ and save the ones you don’t know. You will then see them highlighted in yellow in your texts. I would, however, spend most of time listening to and reading meaningful content.

Here’s one for Italian from movie / tv subtitles:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/Italian1000

Marktaber, I’m convinced you will reach your goal by August by using Lingq and following Mark’s advice. Please make sure you reach out to any of use or any native Italian member for help! :slight_smile: