Australian Accent

Hi guys!

I was wondering if there are any English lessons here with an Australian accent. I find the nasality of the accent pretty neat so I’m trying to learn it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards,
Solanium

I’m not sure if there are any because I’ve never studied English here.

However, I’m native Australian English speaker. I don’t think I speak in a particularly nasal way, though.

Hmm, that’s funny.

I’ve gotten hold of several acting lessons for teaching the Australian accent. I guess for us Americans, it seems pretty nasal. XD

Anyway, would you happen to know online dictionaries that have Australian pronunciation, instead of the typical British or American pronunciations?

For me, you’ve got to consider 5/6 years of Yiddish influence mixed with some Polish and Lithuanian in the first stage of my life. That’s had an influence on my accent.

I should add that the stereotypical Australian accent heard in movies isn’t really how we talk - at least most of us don’t any more. It was much more common in the past. Still, we have our own way of pronouncing words. (including more vowels than most dialects of the language).

The Macquarie Dictionary is the best Australian English dictionary but I don’t think there is a free online version.

Perhaps I could record something for you at some point. Provide me a text which isn’t toooo long and I’ll work out how to get that working. Then you can use it for comparison’s sake.

Really? Darn. I’ve been downloading some Australian movies so I could copy the accent being used. =/

And thanks a lot for your offer Imyirtseshem. I’ll see what I can scrounge up. I’ll also send you a message when I’ve found a nice one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe that poem for showing how difficult English pronunciation is. That would actually be a nice little project - get various English speakers to record it. We could get a number of different accents.

English is Tough Stuff ← That one :slight_smile:

I know a Spanish page that does that.

Speaking of, I’ve been told a few times by foreigners that they struggle with Australian Accents.
Which means they won’t be able to appreciate Community Channel.

Oh wait, that’s a good point, Try Australian Youtubers. “Community Channel”, i.e. Natalie Tran is one of my favorite people in the world.

I just checked youtube to see what this “Community Channel” was. I’m not sure if I’m disappointed or not. I’d say not - I had no expectations. :smiley:

=D

@Imyirtseshem

Sounds like a good idea. Do you think it would be possible to get people who speak various English accents? XD

@Farrago

Do you know if there is a general Australian accent one could possibly copy?

I can’t see why not, Solanium.