Any way to track words read?

From what I understand, the word count only gets updated once I’ve completed a whole lesson.

But for new languages where I still read slowly, a whole lesson is a big amount and is not very useful as a basic unit in tracking my reading.

Is there any way to track how many words I’ve actually read? Will there be in the upcoming version of the reader? It would be incredibly useful for setting goals or simply tracking how my speed improves with time.

Reading is supper important, but I would argue that if your daily reading stats are such that you do not complete a lesson a day, that means the words read statistic is simply not a useful metric for you at this point anyway.

Think of it this way: If you’re reading beginners’ material, the lessons themselves will have less words and therefore you’ll complete them in due time and your stats will update. But in this case, your words read stats may be as little 100 a day. If you’re a beginner and you’re not completing one beginner lesson a day – which is totally fine – your reading stats are so low that they’re not really worth tracking until you can finish the lesson.

On the other hand if you’re a beginner tackling more advanced material – which is totally fine and good – your lessons may have up to 2000 words in them and in that case it will take you longer to work through. But, if you’re reading advanced material, and you’re reading under 2000 words a day, similarly your stats are not significant enough to track as compared to the the material you’re reading.

Your goal should be to get to a total of 1 - 2,000,000 words read. Measuring this progress in steps of 2,000 is perfectly reasonable to me.

Keep reading. Work up to a pace of 2000 words a day, and that point your problem will be solved.

2 Likes

I have a similar problem to the original poster. I have trouble getting through those long “lessons”. Sometimes it’s simple lack of time. Sometimes something else I find interesting I’ll import. Usually I have 5 minutes here and there…often I will have 2 or 3 long lessons going at a time and I’ll read whatever of them sounds interesting at that time.

I used to agree that I needed that more granular stastical update…my daily stats aren’t reflecting the number of words I’ve read that day. Likewise when I eventually finish the lesson, then my stats are overinflated for that day.

I stopped worrying about this though…Daily stats are interesting, but to t_harangi’s point it’s really that longer term horizon that’s important. Whether it’s that ultimate goal of the 1-2 million words read, or seeing the stats at a 1 month or 3 month or year horizon, that’s where the focus should be…particularly in my case, or the original poster I think.

One can always take that month long stat view and divide it to a daily statistic if they want to see the pace their at at a daily level.

To add on…I started thinking about how they could even implement a partial words read stat. It would be pretty tricky. How would they do it? On each page flipped? What if I was merely skimming through the lesson looking for yellow words, rather than reading it…I wouldn’t want my words read count to go up in this case.

In any event…shorter answer for original poster. Perhaps as I stated above, look at your weekly or monthly stat view for the last X timeframe…then divide by the days. That will give you an average daily words read and should flatten out the uneveness you likely see with your daily stats (like me). Or if you know you get through X number of LingQ pages a day, and that is X number of words, you can get an idea there.

1 Like

I would argue that what is a useful metric and what isn’t depends on the person’s method of study and habit system.

In my case, I like to set daily targets for myself and slowly try to increase them.

I wouldn’t say the material I’m reading is advanced. It’s a YA novel which I understand fine, but it takes me about an hour to complete a 2000 words lesson, and I don’t really have an hour every day.

It took me a couple of months to go from 2000 words in 70 minutes to 2000 words in 60 minutes, so it will take a long time before 2000 words become such a trifle that I can measure my progress by multiples of it.

I don’t know, when I first started with Spanish it used to take me 2-3 days to read through 2000 words, so keeping track of the number of words read each day was just not something I was concerned with. It was more just about consistency – I’d just read what I could each day. The number of words read is really more important as a cumulative number on the long term.

1 Like

I‘d recommend convincing yourself that it isn’t always important to finish a lesson. Keep in mind that on the LingQ graphs when filtered by longer than 30 days your daily stats won’t even show up anymore. Only monthly stats are shown. I recently started arabic (115 known words) and I don‘t always finish a lesson (5-7 pages) because it takes me a few minutes to get through one page. For languages where I’m much more advanced I always finish my 2000 word lessons no matter what.

My problem is exactly that I don’t want to finish a lesson (or don’t have time). I simply motivate myself best if I have a target word count for the day and am able to continually push it further (spending the same time of reading). Until now I’ve used complicated methods to do this (like having a pdf version on the side, counting the pages and multiplying by the average number of words per page.

I thought it was absurd for a tool like Lingq not to have a basic functionality like this, but from the comments I’ve received I realize that people besides me don’t really need it.

I’m not trying to diminish it as a useful metric–I think it would be great if there was a good way of handling partial reading of a lesson, but again, how would they implement it in a different way than what they are doing now (my inner programmer thinking about this)? How do they differentiate between one person reading partway through vs. someone flipping through the lesson looking for yellow words in context to focus on those? The latter is not reading words, except for the handful of words or sentences surrounding the yellow word so they certainly wouldn’t want to count the rest of the lesson as having been read.

Maybe there’s a way…perhaps going into the lesson in “reading mode” vs. “review mode”.

Essentially, though, it’s not easy to do what you’re saying without breaking the way others may be using the app as well.

So I think people are just trying to offer solutions or alternatives to what you’re trying to do. Maybe they can think of a great way to handle it.

To me it looks like Lingq is already counting the pages/lines (depending on what mode I’m in) I’ve already read by turning the corresponding square from gray to green on the progress bar as soon as all the words have been marked either as known or as new lingqs.

Interesting. It somewhat makes sense…when you first complete a lesson there is no “complete lesson” button at the end like if you are re-reading a lesson. So perhaps to some extent it is measuring the words as you progress the first time. However, I noticed the grey bar may not initially turn to green even if you’ve paged through some text and marked everything as yellow or known. I’m not sure exactly when it goes to green in those cases.

Hi qf

Apologies if I’ve missed this in the email trail … It may be an easy workaround for you to view the lesson details/description which shows you total number of words for that lesson, then ‘guestimate’ or work out how much you have done for that particular lesson (i.e. half the lesson, or 2 of 5 pages etc) and manually add them as a single figure +500 words on the main screen statistics which shows you all the regular daily/weekly/monthly stats. This may meet your reqirement to record reading activity pending any further feature improvements in v5.0 … ?

Hope this helps

1 Like

It actually used to bother me too that words weren’t counted by page turning instead of completing lessons. So you’re not alone there. At some point I think I just got used to it, and it’s actually forced me to do more reading before stopping.