Anti-Donald languages

There seems to be a lot of negative energy around here about the 45th president of the United States, Donald J. Trump.

Seeing that this is, after all, a language forum, I would invite LingQers who don’t like Donald (and, indeed, those of us who are far more ambivalent about him) to turn this negative energy into a positive motivation to learn a new language during 2017.

According to this rationale, it kind of makes sense to pick a language which would piss Donald off? So here are some suggestions:

1. Mexican Spanish (this has to be numero uno on the list!)
  2. Mandarin (no trade wars, Mr President!)
  3. Arabic (spoken by many MUSLIMS Donald!)
  4. Persian/Farsi (Ditto. Plus: Iranian nuclear deal!)
  5. Indonesian (also spoken by many Muslims! And spoken by, ahem, Obama!!)
  6. German (they wanna keep the EU wired to life support)
  7. Japanese (to show solidarity with yutaka!!)

Are there any others? :smiley:

I like that positive energy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t know much about Donald Trump. Is he as famous as Donald Duck?
Anyway, I am looking forward to the day when he will become a Lame Duck.

“‘Prediction professor’ who called Trump’s big win also made another forecast: Trump will be impeached” http://wapo.st/2fJ8nxI?tid=ss_tw
“The Democrats can rehabilitate themselves only by offering an inspiring progressive alternative to Republican policies and building a grass-roots movement.”

A good proposal!
I also like the positive energy.
And I am very surprised at the frantic violent rage of Yutaka against the new American president who did so little up to now to be criticised so violently.
No bombardment of Serbia like Bill Clinton.
No Irak war like Bush Junior.
No blooded ‘Arab spring’ like Obama and H. Clinton.

5 Likes

The expression “frantic violent rage” is interesting. If I were you, I would show my rage more euphemistically. An example of Freudian slips or something like that?

Not to change the subject, but I am a big fan of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov’s short stories. Several years ago, I read most of them in Japanese. Almost all his works are translated into Japanese. We know that he is a great writer. His “退屈な話”(Скучная история) was not boring by any means.

Well a clock that doesn’t work is right twice a day.

At the end of our September conversation, Lichtman [Allan Lichtman] made another call: that if elected, Trump would eventually be impeached by a Republican Congress that would prefer a President Mike Pence — someone whom establishment Republicans know and trust.

“I’m going to make another prediction,” he [Allan Lichtman] said. “This one is not based on a system; it’s just my gut. They don’t want Trump as president, because they can’t control him. He’s unpredictable. They’d love to have Pence — an absolutely down-the-line, conservative, controllable Republican. And I’m quite certain Trump will give someone grounds for impeachment, either by doing something that endangers national security or because it helps his pocketbook.”

The above excerpt is from the article I quoted in my latest post. Yes, time will tell.

And no massacres in Chechnya? No invasion of the Ukraine or Georgia? No annexation of Crimea? No cyberattacks on Estonia? No massive bombings on Syrian cities?

2 Likes

It sounds well founded but he might as well end up being wrong and in that case nobody is going to care because people only care if he’s right.

Anyway, are you a big fan of Donald Trump? Is he popular in Norway?

It’s difficult to say how popular he is because people don’t walk around with “Make America great again” baseball caps if they support him, but I’ve seen a Trump supporter here and there on Facebook. I guess I prefer him over Clinton because I loathe the professional victimhood that the left has become so known for in recent years. If he doesn’t start a nuclear war with Russia then that will be nice too.

Hi. Isn’t France still bombing civilians in Mali?

Well there are few reports about civilian casualties but if there were, I would not try to find excuses whatsoever.

It’s just funny that some like to mention American “crimes” but not Russian ones. I have no real sympathy for the US but at least it’s a democracy. Trump couldn’t have been elected in Russia.

Wow! Prinz you are a genius! Why did i not think of this idea? This is hilarious! One of those languages I already am learning and another i am planning to learn, so that is cool

This is a very, very, very good list.

Prinz_Brexiteer always makes great lists. He’s been doing it for a long time.

From the UK, I love the UK. I go there all the time! Great place. Great people.

I just opened a hotel in Scotland. They got their country back.

Wait, Yutaka is franticly raging against the new American president who did so little up to now to be criticised so violently???

You’re getting the hang of Trumplish.

It was a phenomenal idea - an exceptional idea. I think we’re all agreed about that :slight_smile:

Now we just need to start learning - bigly.

Speaking English over speaking American?..I am not sure how many are aware of this stereotype.

English, American, Canadian, Australian…etc…it’s one big happy family! :slight_smile: