An American; depressed about Trump and the presidential election

the real Dilemma with this: Facts and logic don’t seem to have any effect on trump phans. It’s not about looking and listening to logic and figuring things out. It is some primitive, emotionally reactive shit going on in their heads. Like an emotional attachment to a confident tough guy: that emotional wiring is overriding those of logic and analysis. It is scary, scary stuff. Not surprising thought: we have seen the same thing happen in spain, japan, germany, and italy all within the last 100 years.

Hopefully, while we are about 100 days away from the presidential election, citizens of this nation who have become intoxicated by the Trump experience have time to recalibrate their thinking and make the kind of decisions that reflect real thought, a weighing of the facts at hand, and do not wake up the morning after the election with a terminal case of buyer's remorse. Forensic psychologist explains Donald Trump's mass appeal http://nydn.us/2amwEsc

I sincerely hope that citizens of that “nation who have been intoxicated by the Trump experience have time to recalibrate their thinking and make the kind of decisions that reflect real thought.”

“In psychology, there is a construct called Cognitive Dissonance. Basically the idea goes that once people make up their minds about something, they become emotionally wedded to a person, idea or plan of action. Despite being confronted with evidence that contradicts a given thought or commitment, people tend to ignore the data at hand rather than modify or change their position.”( The source of this is the same as that of the above excerpt. The underline is mine.)

The actual strenght of Donald Trump is partly due to the weakness of Hillary Clinton. Last week I heard for the first time their speaches on YouTube and I started to understand that she’ll have difficulties to reach the heart of the voters.

Do you think that Donald Trump reaches the “heart” of voters more easily than Hillary Clinton does? I don’t think so. Popularity is greatly influenced by the group the audience belongs to. While no more than 25% of the white male interviewees in a sample supported Hillary Clinton, no more than 9% of the nonwhite female interviewees in the same sample supported Donald Trump.

Race, Gender Biggest Differentiators in Views of Clinton, Trump
http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/191918/race-gender-biggest-differentiators-views-clinton-trump.aspx

Among males who are 50 years old and over, Donald Trump is 13 percent more popular than Hillary Clinton.
Among 18- to 49-year-old males, Trump is more popular by only one percent.
Among 18- to 49-year-old females, Trump is less popular by at least twenty-four percent.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/191918/race-gender-biggest-differentiators-views-clinton-trump.aspx

Let aside the numbers, I speak about the emotional intelligence. I just compared the speeches between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in Charlotte, North Carolina: - YouTube Carefully listen to both and maybe you will find out what I mean. It makes no sense to directly compare Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump as we are all biased on this topic.

Honestly speaking, I feel that we are not accustomed to women political leaders. I myself must admit that I am influenced by gender stereotypes and some sort of ageism. But I think that we should scrutinize what they are really proposing to do. If they employ a competent speech writer, their speech script may be perfect, but their style of speech would inevitably contain several other factors, which could influence the perception of the audience according to the group the audience belongs to. (I don’t know if the following common saying applies to this case: “There is no accounting for taste”.)

“The benefit you get from being a woman running is, No. 1, you’re seen as more empathetic, more relatable, having deeper feelings about things, not just approaching things in an unemotional way,” Packer says. “And 2, you’re seen as not a typical politician.” If that’s true, it’s possible that when a woman approaches politics in a coolly pragmatic way—when she shows herself to be, in many ways, a typical politician—it makes people particularly uncomfortable.

Why do people hate Hillary Clinton so much? The people who hate Hillary Clinton the most. via @slate

“Honestly speaking, I feel that we are not accustomed to woman political leaders. I myself must admit that I am influenced by gender stereotypes and some sort of ageism.”

Are you influenced to the point where you would not vote for a female candidate just because she´s a woman?

People might dislike Clinton because she´s got an image as a notorious liar ( - YouTube ) or because she´s “sponsored” by big businesses or because of the email scandal etc.

She´s probably going to win the election though. Many people are going to vote either against Donald Trump or for her vagina.

I´m not a Trump supporter by the way. I´d probably vote for a third party.

@Paule

I wouldn’t vote for H.C’s vagina (as you put it) or for Monica Lewinsky’s mouth! (Erm, can I actually say that without getting banned?! :-O)

Seriously, in this day and age political leadership shouldn’t be about gender at all. It should just be about who is most able and best qualified at a given point in time - that’s the way we do it in the UK. :smiley:

Trump getting in is not the end of the world… and arguably Trump is slightly preferable to Cruz, Rubio etc… It is important to remember that the presidential office is less important than the media hype, and local and congressional votes are more important… no one will work with him. He will barely last 4 years. The worse thing he will do is appoint a dumb ass right wing toady to the SCOTUS… which is pretty bad… but again not the end of the world.

If the revolutionaries both on the left and the right are serious people… and many are not… the will care a lot more about getting decent people in down-ticket and make sure that the sh!t show that is the primaries is not repeated

If I were a US citizen, I would vote for Hillary Clinton who was endorsed by Bernie Sanders, who was endorsed by Noam Chomsky.

Who rules the world now? Noam Chomsky full length interview: Who rules the world now? - YouTube

I would do a write-in and vote for Noam Chomsky who is endorsed by Christophe Clugston! :slight_smile:

I did not know Prinz_May had endorsed Christophe something. Is he or she a self-proclaimed polyglot?

“Many people are going to vote either against Donald Trump or for her ******.”

I am not sure what this sentence implies. There should be some parallelism in your expression. Of course, I don’t want to see its modified, anatomically explicit version here on the forum page. I think you agree with me about the existence of sexism in politics.

Wow, you censored “vagina” in your response? xD

“I think you agree with me about the existence of sexism in politics.”

I meant that being a woman seems to help her. Some people seem to think that having a female president will somehow empower women.

Voting for a candidate because she´s a woman = voting for her vagina

Does that count as “sexism in politics”?^^

I tend to use the word “sexism” in two aspects: positive and negative.
By the way, do you often use the expression “voting for his *****”? I suppose you don’t. If that is the case, it proves the existence of sexism.

If you are influenced by a “positive” bias toward a sex, it might be called positive sexism, whereas if you are influenced by a “negative” bias toward the sex, it might be called negative sexism toward the sex.

If you feel without any proof that female leaders are less reckless than male leaders, it could be positive sexism towards women. I am not so sure about this, although I do believe that Hillary is less reckless than Donald.

Maybe at the legislative level he would be heavily blocked when it comes to his most radical ideas, but it is worrying, to say the least, to imagine what he would be like as commander-in-chief.

If Bush didn’t need congress for Iraq imagine what he’d be like.

He claims he was against the war, but since we were already there we might as well have just taken the oil.

I hope he’s just running his mouth when he says things like: he would be for waterboarding and “we should go further than waterboarding”, he would not defend NATO allies such as the Baltic states from Russia’s potential incursions (unless they complied with certain obligations)… etc.

The office of President wields sufficient power over the military without congress, he would be dangerous.

“I tend to use the word “sexism” in two aspects: positive and negative.
By the way, do you often use the expression “voting for his *****”? I suppose you don’t. If that is the case, it proves the existence of sexism.”

Sexism is judging people based on their gender. How´s that a positive thing?

I´d say “they vote for his penis” if I had seen as many people who support Trump because he´s a man. I haven´t seen anyone though.

I love how you ignored everything else I said and focused on implying that I´m sexist.

Here´s the candidate I would vote for, btw: jill2016.com - This website is for sale! - jill2016 Resources and Information.

Seriously though… I remember thinking that you´re a cool guy. Now you underline “white men”, censor words like penis and vagina and even post links to buzzfeed. Weird.

Well I guess you could say that Hillary’s actual record as SoState and Senator is actual proof she is a war hawk. She voted for Irag. She presided over Libya. To say nothing of her support of Israel, known contact with Saudi Arabian funding… etc

Trump is not a serious person He will get passive aggression from everywhere. He will likely get impeached. When one takes the long view, it might even be better to vote third party and risk a Trump term as a wakeup call to the electorate.

All that being said, if I were a voter, I would vote HIllary in the swing states and take my chances with Stein otherwise.