About the speed of the audio

I read an article on the internet about the speed of the audio. She said it’s better not to listen to slow audio content. On lingq, I don’t listen to really fast audio content since my brain can’t always catch up with what the people are saying. I was concerned and I am wondering if this will slow down my listening skills progress. Sorry if I sound stupid. Does the speed really matter?

1 Like

Most of our lessons are at normal speed. This will mean a variety of somewhat slow, medium and fast recordings. I don’t think it matters. Variety is good. It is sometimes good to listen to slower material to feel confident and really hear the pronunciation of individual words. It is also good to listen to faster material to get the rhythm of the language and improve one’s ability to process the language at higher speeds. In essence it does not matter as long as you have a variety of speeds, just as in real life.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply and advice. I’ll probably start listening to faster audio soon.

You can always download Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and slow down the material to your liking, without changing the pitch. Myself, I prefer to sit out the recordings at natural speed, even if it’s way too fast to comprehend at first. I want to get accustomed to it, because people rarely speak slow enough for learners in the real world.