A referendum: Old forum (Linear) vs. New forum (TreeView)

The dichotomy is irrelevant. (It’s important for each of you to try to minimize the nesting of the replies.)

Only until a better way of working the nested version is found. If the comments to the original post could be compressed so that one would have to click to open the comments, a nested version could well be better than the old version.

Yukuta, you are right! If we always write our posts in the little window below the original post, the nesting will not happen!!

That is the downside of threaded forums as apposed to linear.
The benefit of a threaded forum is that it is clear whose replica relates to what which was often a problem here before, especially since the LingQ forum has no built-on quotation possibilities.
Some engines, like Invision Power Board introduced both modes.

But then you have to click very often to open comments. That is annoying too. It is difficult to get an overview. I guess, you’ll miss a lot of the post.

Reddit has an up/down vote algorithm as well as toggles that sort the comments.
I am actually happier with the current system than the old linear style but going full Reddit would be ideal.
Speaking of Reddit, it is a big audience. I know you are all maxed out but it is a good place to talk about LingQ… for example here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/duolingo/comments/2aswxq/supplementing_duolingo/

If it is not broken, why fix it? Changing something because you think you need updates just for the sake of updates is not a good argument. I have seen the non-linear threaded style on many other forums including Benny’s and never liked it. We’ll see how popular it will turn out to be here. The beauty of the linear style is that there is a clear spatial chronology which makes it so much easier to follow the posts.

Is this a vote for ‘old’, Friedemann?

I’m curious to see if our vote will have any effect.

@MADARA Maybe, unless Mark makes this Treeview system better somehow. I like the idea of this, but some of the big threads I go to make the page Freeze. A bit disappointing in my opinion.

It is neither a plebiscite nor a referendum. It can be called a petition, which people who have the same opinion are supposed to subscribe to.

P.S.
This is the second level of the nested replies.

Yes, that is a better word" Petition". So far the majority voted for old, which is 21 of us. But I’d give Mark a chance to try and fix this system, to see whether is might still cause problems. I want to be a little fair with him, since he’s trying to make the site a little bit more modern. If I was a programmer, I would have a system that would very simple, for the threads and commenting, and would be very user friendly, while all at the same being something new.

Petition results do not usually take the form, ”the ratio of A to B". In addition, you should presuppose the existence of what poor old Richard Nixon called, “the silent majority”.

Yes, I’m sorry for having chosen the wrong expression here. I tried to find a better word, but none came to my mind. I’m not able to change it now.

Yes, you are correct, Vera. Also the fact that you cannot simply follow a thread you have left for a few days puts be back into the unreserved ‘old’ group.

Most of the problems we are facing now are caused by the fact that the update was a “beta version”. You cannot compare the new version with the old one because the latter is in the process of beta tests.

" A development status given to a program or application that contains most of the major features, but is not yet complete. Sometimes these versions are released only to a select group of people, or to the general public. The testers are usually expected to report any bugs they encounter or any changes they’d like to see before the final release. This is the second major stage of development following the alpha version, and comes before the release candidate."—Wiktionary

P.S.
I am wondering why people who dislike nested replies energetically post their own replies using the nests. It is contradictory.

New

Old

old of course.

New