A ChatGPT Use Case for LingQ - Spam Checker/Writing Exchange

LingQ product management and developers,

I’ve noticed an increase in spam and scam content in your writing exchange feature.

Consider that a use of ChatGPT!

As someone is posting, you can just take the content and ask ChatGPT such as, “Using a scale of 0 to 1 with 1 being certainty, how would likely would you rank that content being spam or a scam?”

While you’re at it, the writing exchange feature, as it exists today, is arguably rather obsolete with the innovations of ChatGPT. Could you possibly integrate ChatGPT directly into the experience and provide by person-to-person as well as AI-based writing correction and exchange?

Could you, for instance, use the user’s known number of words, usage patterns, even more specific knowledge base, etc. to provide to provide built-in personalized writing feedback that adapts as the individual is progressing?

Thanks for your feedback. We will see what we can do.

Perhaps greater awareness of such as Section 230 of US Communications Decency Act, the European Union’s Digital Services Act (DSA), and similar would help you with the feature prioritization.

Governments are regulating consumer digital protections in ways that greatly relate to moderation (whether automated, manual, or hybrid implmentation) of user-contributed content.

You may have legal risks here beyond the ethical duties.

Let us hope that LingQ can do something about this sort of thing. Having scammers and crooks using this site is disturbing.

I think at this point, the responsibilities have clearly been brought to the attention of LingQ and the ball is in their court for the benefit of their business.

A gesture of good will and expression of intent would be indication by LingQ that this will be taken care of.

Would think that is something that would be looked upon favorably by not only us users but also the regulators who serve us in the jurisdictions in which we each live.

Fascinating on the EU.

In the US, Section 230 provides a lot of protections for businesses that use user-generated content, however it contains exceptions for criminal activity, IP infringement, privacy, and more.

The selling of a fake degree can be illegal. Presenting false credentials is more clearly fraudulent.

What a mess!

On the other hand, within the US, First Amendment rights give online platforms a lot of freedom to moderate their content.

Personally, I think I’d be cheaper to have a programmer’s project close the unsavory vulnerability than to pay the lawyers to research the global risks.