There are many uses for 就 jiù as adverb, conjunction and preposition - and I’m not a native speaker.

However, in the lesson, I translated “青岛 有 很 多 海滩,一 到 夏天,人们 就 来 到 海滩 享受 海水、沙滩 和 阳光。”(Qīngdǎo yǒu hěnduō hǎitān, yī dào xiàtiān, rénmen jiù lái dào hǎitān xiǎngshòu hǎishuǐ, shātān hé yángguāng), as:

“There are many beaches in Qingdao; as soon as it’s summer, people come to the beach to enjoy the sea, sand and sun”.

This is because it’s the grammar pattern for as soon as : “yī …jiù” (" 一…就)
(一, yī) one thing happened (It’s summer), then (就, jiù) another thing happened immediately afterward (people come).

I understand your confusion, since 就 coincidentally can be used elsewhere with 来, but with different grammatical usage. Hope this helps.

Edit: try not to think of 来 when combined with 就 as a set term, but rather think of 来 (come) as any verb that could follow 就.

@Julz611: as soon as : “yī …jiù” (" 一…就)

That’s a perfectly good translation, but I would also suggest understanding this construction as “once… then” since it’s the same pattern we also have in English. At least it’s easier for me to make this correspondence and understand the structure that way.

As a slight digression, I like translations to correspond as closely to the original text as possible, so long as it translates to natural, fluent English. It gives me a feeling of being closer to what they’re saying in their language, as opposed to having a looser interpretation of it, if you know what I mean. That’s just my personal preference though. I would translate (understand) it something like the following.

青岛有很多海滩。一到夏天,人们就来到海滩享受海水,沙滩,和阳光。
Qingdao has very many beaches. Once summer comes, (then) people come to the beach to enjoy the seawater, sandy shore, and sunshine.

In this case, since “once” means “as soon as”, “then” can actually be omitted. I like to keep it there to reflect the “一…就” structure. But this is just my personal preference and way of understanding the language via English. I like how every word is represented/corresponds to something in the translation. Just wanted to add that in case it might help someone.

@LFJ - It’s not my preference to try to represent every word in translation - mostly because I got started with Japanese first. Imagine translating a literal “My throat has become dry” from the Japanese instead of “I’m thirsty”! :slight_smile:

I live on the coast, and it’s stinking hot here at the moment! We just say “sea, sand and sun”. (Or more natural: “surf, sand and sun”)

Consider further " 一…就" examples:

我 一 看到 他 就 很 紧张 。(Wǒ yī kàn dào tā jiù hěn jǐnzhāng). As soon as I saw him I was nervous.

他 一 生气 脸 就 红 。(Tā yī shēngqì liǎn jiù hóng). As soon as he gets angry his face turns red.

Ngocnam is Vietnamese, however, so I’m not sure which equivalent or alternative idea we’ve mentioned is used in translation in that language.

I just think of the " 一…就" pattern to express events in quick succession: as soon as one thing happens, another thing happens immediately afterward.

It’s not normal English to say “very many beaches” (at least in my part of the world), so I just think of “many” if I see 很多 (hěnduō). Of course, 多 by itself is “many/much”, but it would sound weird without the dummy/filler word of 很.

When I was a beginner at university last year I translated the “very” in my head every time at first, not knowing it’s often just there to make it sound nicer/smoother. I couldn’t understand why the Chinese were always “very” well/hungry/tired etc. Haha!

Well, of course I don’t always suggest a very literal translation, but a very close one where possible and where it results in natural, fluent English. Of course “my throat has become dry” to express thirst isn’t natural English, and there are similar instances in Chinese where something else needs to be done.

Keep in mind also, this is just my own personal way of understanding the language as I see its meaning directly translated in my mind for learning, as opposed to actual translation I’d use for work. I also do translation work with Chinese and while I still try to stay close to the source text in meaning, I won’t take it to the extreme- except for things like Chengyu where the client wants both the literal meaning and closest approximation to the saying in English if one exists.

But in fact, the client I do the most work for will some times deduct points if some words are not reflected in the translation. So my style has been partially conditioned by their requirements. On the other hand, “surf” would be much too liberal a translation for 海水.

1 Like