СИРИЙСКИЙ ТУПИК (DEADLOCK IN SYRIA)

All people who are interested in politics and are able to read in Russian can open and read my article about the Civil War in Syria.
Best of all,
Evgueny
Login - LingQ

2 Likes

And now you can read this article about Syria also in English.
I thank Tim Coyle for his translation.
It is in the English library under the name: SYRIAN BLIND ALLEY.
And here is the link to this English version:

1 Like

Und jetzt können Sie auch die deutsche Übersetzung meines Artikels über Syria lesen.
Ich glaube, dass solche aktuellen Themen wie der Bürgerkrieg in Syria für viele Leute interessant sind, weil dieser Krieg zu internationalen Konflikten und sogar zum neuen Weltkrieg führen kann.
Und hier ist der Link zu dieser Übersetzung:

Ich danke Franz Stichlberger für seine Übersetzung.
Und für die Poliglotten kann auch interessant sein, alle drei Varianten zu lesen: auf Russisch, Englisch und Deutsch.

1 Like

I think there is a word or two missing from the translation of this sentence as it does not make sense to me. “People fear that, with the coming to power of the militants, an even larger number of the population would leave the country due to destruction by the militants because some Syrians believed in Islam differently to the militants.”

@kpnagle
Yes, I think that in Russian and German versions this serntence is clearer that in the English translation.
Have you any proposal how to correct this phrase? Maybe to divide it and to add 1-2 words that can clearify the sense?

I don’t know enough German or Russian to translate the sentence to English but I think the last phrase should be something to the effect that many Syrians interpret or worship Islam differently than the militants.

Meaning of the sentence in the English translation is slightly different in one part to the German version, I don’t know about the Russian.

“People fear that, with the coming to power of the militants, an even larger number of the population would leave the country due to destruction by the militants because some Syrians believed in Islam differently to the militants.”

I think this is relatively clear, but the phrasing is a little awkward. I would write it like this

“People fear that, with the coming to power of the militants, an even larger number of the population would leave the country or be destroyed by the militants because they believe in a version of Islam that is different to what the militants want.”

Meaning of the sentence in the English translation is slightly different in one part to the German version, I don’t know about the Russian.

“People fear that, with the coming to power of the militants, an even larger number of the population would leave the country due to destruction by the militants because some Syrians believed in Islam differently to the militants.”

I think this is relatively clear, but the phrasing is a little awkward. I would write it like this

“People fear that, with the coming to power of the militants, an even larger number of the population would leave the country or be destroyed by the militants because they believe in a version of Islam that is different to what the militants want.”

Yes, Colin, it’s better. ‘Due to’ is unnecessory here. And adding ‘version of islam’ makes more sense because they all believe in Islam, but a bit differently.
I’ll make the correction in the English version.