Zuhören

(…) … Ist das wirklich ein Satz? Wo haben sie das Verb versteckt? (…)

Grundsätzlich hast du Recht (oder: recht - beide Schreibweisen sind mittlerweile korrekt). Ein Satz sollte aus Subjekt, Prädikat und Objekt bestehen. Es gibt aber Satzverkürzungen, die als stilistisches Mittel eingesetzt werden und dieser Satz ist ein Beispiel dafür. Gerade bei Ausrufen oder Feststellungen geschieht das oft.

Beispiel: Wie schade! Aber nicht wirklich, oder?

Bei deinem Beispiel hätte ich aber wohl keinen neuen Satz angefangen, sondern eher mit einem Gedankenstrich gearbeitet:

(…) zu dem die Wirtschaftskammer die Berufsgruppe der Wiener Astrologen just ins Technische Museum eingeladen hat - für die Forscher vom Institut für Astrophysik der Uni Wien ein Affront."

An sich sind aber solche Satzverkürzungen durchaus ein übliches Stilmittel - gerade in Zeitungsartikeln.

Auch hier könnte man schreiben: “An sich sind aber solche Satzverkürzungen durchaus ein übliches Stilmittel. Gerade in Zeitungsartikeln.”

ad Sanne: (…) … @@@@@@ (…)

Ich verwende schon seit langem konsequent das lateinische “ad”, obwohl ich weiß, dass das im Englischen eigentlich nicht üblich ist :wink:

“Hören Sie bitte den nächsten Dialog!” - ja das klingt wie “Hören Sie mehr Beethoven!” It could be German German usage or something you might hear on the radio: “Hören Sie das nächste Stück!” i.e. “Lassen Sie es über sich ergehen!”

“Sie müssen viel hören/lesen” - this is certainly a general piece of advice for language learners. If you use “viel zuhören”, the meaning is not clear because “zuhören” already implies concentrated listening to a person or a story or the news (Sei still, ich möchte zuhören). Using “viel” doesn’t make it any clearer.

“Sie müssen zuhören” or you will miss the punch line.

@Reinhard: " It could be German German usage …" No, as Sanne and I wrote above it isn,t!

ad alleray: (…) “Lassen Sie es über sich ergehen!” (…)

Well put :wink:

I think we sometimes have to accept that we can’t always translate expressions as concisely as we wish to. While it is clear what we mean when we say “you need to listen a lot”, it is difficult to render the same meaning in German with as few words as in English.

“Sie müssen viel lesen” - I have no problem at all with that sentence.

“Sie müssen viel hören” - personally, I don’t think that this is the same as “you have to listen a lot”.

I think the only solution would be to use a much longer construction in German. This may not sound very elegant but in my opinion it would be preferable. “Sie müssen sich viele Texte anhören”. We just can’t say anything as general in German as “you need to listen a lot”.

I would use “hören” in a slightly different way here. “Sie müssen die Sprache hören, um sich an ihren Klang zu gewöhnen. Sie müssen sich in die Sprache einhören. Dazu müssen Sie sich viele gesprochene Texte anhören.”

I know it is not a very elegant solution, but in my opinion it is a correct one.

I don’t think I would ever say to anybody “Sie müssen viel hören”. To me this sounds like “You must hear a lot” in English.

But as Colin pointed out above, we all have our personal preferences when using our native tongue.

EDIT : One reason why I don’t like dubbed movies is that they introduce a kind of language which is sometimes completely unnatural just for constraints of time and lip movements. And with written translations this happens if people focus more on trying to translate isolated words rather than the actual content.

A legacy of the dubbing industry are expressions such as “Vergiss es!” which now is quite common but originally came from the English “Forget it!”. We would not really have used that in German I guess if they had not swamped us with their dubbed movies where everybody started using that expression.

Depending on the context, we would have normally said something like “Lass es gut sein! Denk nicht mehr darüber nach! Mach dir keine Gedanken! Nicht so schlimm…”. But, of course, you can’t do that if the lip movements don’t correspond with such a long sentence.

I wish we’d get rid of those dubbed versions and use subtitles again.

I love dubbed movies. I just got super-duper fast internet installed in my apartment and have signed up for maxdome.at. Soooo good.

It’s so disappointing living in Germany and being swamped by American/British TV shows which are dubbed. Original with UT would be much better for everyone, Germans included (depending of course on how useful Englischkentnisse is in ones eyes…). However it seems German Channels have a slight antipathy towards any form of UT; I checked and it was 4/5 awful US movies a month on one channel.

Flicking to something as banal and awful as an episode of “The Nanny” from 20 years ago, dubbed in German, is a thoroughly dispiriting experience. That a small group of actors had to reproduce that Garbage and regurgitate it into the ether is always mind boggling for me.

My first thought is always…why, why why why why why why!!

Dubbed anything is plain wrong imo. It makes the entire experience unreal while ruining any engagement with the work. Makes a horror show of the timing and sound editing as well.

I’d never for an instant watch any French or ‘Foreign’ cinema dubbed into English. I always wonder does it sound as ridiculous to Germans with German as a Mother tongue as it does to me when something is dubbed into English.

@ omad

When the German speaking world starts mass producing movies worth watching, I will agree with you. Until then, I will continue to love dubbing.

p.s. that’s a right triangle, you idiot!