Youtube and external subtitle files - possible to use?

New here, still on free account. Question applies to the paid version (free probably can do)

How about videos that have no CC and hard coded subtitles? I know, Lingq can’t handle them. But I generated a text file with a screen OCR software. Is there a way to use that in Lingq?

Or, alternately, can I simply add the video with the subtitle file to my youtube account and then import to Lingq? (after I am a paid member I mean)

PS: learning language is Mandarin.

1 Like

Check this thread for details:

1 Like

Thanks, Great workaround. Transcription worked great. But as I tried to add a video URL, I get the message “Invalid video URL” and it doesn’t let me add it. As a librarian who’s sharing a French course with the permission of the authors, I want to make sure the lesson shows their video to play along and not just the mp3 (the least I can do for them in return). This is not the first time this happens over the last few days. The video I tried this with is this one.

Is there something about the link that makes it invalid?
Thanks!

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I was able to add this video to a lesson without an error.

1 Like

thanks! Weird. I wonder what’s going on on my end. I just copy the URL from the address bar on my PC… It works for some other videos, but the shorts from this channel are not accepted as youtube URLs.
Would you mind sharing the version of the URL you pasted?

1 Like

Yes. That is the problem. It looks like URL with “shorts” aren’t accepted. Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXzyFvPU3Y

3 Likes

Thank you! Got it. I’ll watch out for this from now on.

3 Likes