Writing corrections

… I wonder what their browser’s default character encoding is? UTF-8? or is it set to something else? scratches head

It could be an encoding issue. It certainly seems to occur most frequently in German…?

This is an idea. In Germany UTF-8 is most often used and I checked out, that I use UTF-8.
Deleting and trying again doesn’t help.
Sometimes it help to add the space in front of the word to the correction but sometimes it doesn’t help.
But there are not a lot corrections to do so I didn’t have a lot experience.

I don’t think deleting and trying again will work but if, for instance, I select “Deleting and” from the post you just wrote. Then I have the problem with the dropped letter. If I go back and select “Deleting and trying”, very often the problem disappears.

This problem occurs still when I use IE7. It doesn’t occurs when I use Firefox.

Hi guys,

This problem is actually related to how browsers handle selections. They do it… well, the wicked way :slight_smile:

If you are interested in technical details, there are actually TWO different positions between a letter and a space symbol, namely right after the letter and right before the space symbol. This means the result depends on how you select the word: by doubleclicking, left-to-right or right -to-left. Yes, this is shockingly stupid, but this is how it is. FF is more predictable in what it does, so it produces better results.

I agree it’s an annoying issue and I’m going to rewrite the selection handling code using a completely different approach. While its not yet there please try to use FF as a tutoring browser, if possible. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Mike

It seems that the problem with IE7 only occurs when in the German text “ä”, “ö” or “ü” is used. Today I corrected a text with IE7 without problems, but in the text was no word with these special characters.

Thanks, Vera. We’ll check that.