Would anyone like to talk to the academic director of a language school about LingQ

We were recently approached by a teacher in a corporate language teaching company in a small Spanish speaking country who was interested in making LingQ available to their students. I have now had the following letter from the Academic Director of this company who says he would like to speak to our students to see how well LingQ works. Let me know if you are interested and have a look at the letter. Incidentally most of the discussion has been alon the lines that their students would not use our tutors, since this company has their own instructors, but nevertheless here is the letter.

My name is …, Academic Director of … - and from Vancouver too, as it happens.
I understand you’ve had some conversations with George with regard to using Lingq as part of our curriculum with respect to certain of our clients. Since we are taking a rather large leap by embarking on a set of procedures that to us are untried, I’d like to express my specifically academic concerns and see how you might respond to them.

The claims of Lingq are pretty lofty, judging from your website, but I wonder about the methodology you employ with respect to Spanish speakers.
As I open my session on Lingq, the greeting lets me know that, ‘The number of words you know is the best indication of your language power’

I’m not sure that that is the case.

My Spanish speakers have problems principally, though not exclusively,
with the following areas:

Hearing and producing English, since there is a range of very fine sounds produced in English that do not exist in Spanish, and because from birth, Spanish speakers have learned phonetically. This does not exist in English as a concept. Words may be written in English without any phonetic hints whatsoever.

Intonation; A simple declaration in English may have five words and five different meanings, depending on which word is stressed.

‘Pachuco’, or idiomatic expressions. These are intimately connected to function-specific language in English, such as the expressions used in a business meeting, with a lawyer, in a restaurant, etc. Phrasal verbs are produced in English almost organically, but this is not specifically addressed in Lingq as far as I can see.

Advanced grammar; We have quite a number of students who are TOEFL level, and who need intensive help with the aspects of advanced English.

I understand that in theory a tutor would be available to address all the concerns that I have, but since my job is not only to maintain a high academic standard but also to maintain the reputation of …
you’ll understand I hope that I would like to put Lingq to a somewhat more rigorous test than would otherwise be employed by a single student or a casual user of the service. Tutors employed by Lingq may be as qualified as any other, but since I haven’t vetted them, this has to remain an open question.

With this in mind, and with your permission, I’d like to speak via Skype to one or more of your students in their studied language on Lingq to assess to what degree they can produce the language over the phone, and so that I may make some judgments with regard to specific areas.
This is not to say that I have a patently negative view of Lingq; I like the simplicity of use and the concept in general. I just think a little due diligence is in order.

Many Thanks,

Which target language is he talking about? From an English tutor, presumably?

I could talk to him in German or French if you like.

Steve,

I’d be happy to speak with him in French and German (although for the latter I’d need some time to review the content on my workdesk, as I’ve not studied German for a while).

I don’t have Skype - tried it once, but my machine is rather old and it was not a success !
However, I’m happy to talk on the phone…

I’m studying English at LingQ.
I could talk with him about my studying or whatever he likes.
Let me know in case