Words for each Level

I remember there was a post with all the new known words for all languages for beginner 2, intermediate 1, etc, but now I can’t find it and the official documentation hasn’t changed. Does anyone have the link? I’m trying to see if getting to intermediate 2 or advanced 1 would be a better goal in Russian for 2024.

1 Like

I am not sure what you mean so interested to hear about it. I know Cambridge compiles word lists related to level which you could translate. As far as lingq level goes I wouldn´t put too much on it when it comes to telling you which level you really are. I can think of better targets.

I mean the number of known words for LingQ levels. While I’m aware that LingQ’s statistics aren’t necessarily a useful measure of ability, I find having a goal related to them helps me stay motivated and consistent.

1 Like

I am using this unofficial table here from a user. Better than nothing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have retrieved this thread:

1 Like

@haskejl I think you are looking for this thread, Oliver did a research and it came out with the tab you find toward the end of the discussion: Recent Updates to Known Word Thresholds

For Russian you get an estimate of 35K (adv 1). They have improved the figures compared to what they had before, to be closer to reality. But I would still add something more to be conservative.

3 Likes

Thanks, this is the exact post I was looking for.

2 Likes

37,00 or 50,000! Quite a gap between them. For Russian if you hadn´t already I would recommend using the youglish.com Russian feature as it will get you some very interesting videos which go through to youtube and always have subs. The Russian wikipedia is very good too. I am currently trying to follow the syllabus of a typical kids encyclopedia but there are very interesting articles about culture under the Soviet union like Самиздат.
I am surprised to see Ukranian has so many more words needed to get the same levels than any other Slavic language. Wonder why.

1 Like

I imagine it has more words than Russian due to the additional case (vocative). However, it’s only used in one situation, so I don’t know if that would meaningfully add anything to learn it for all the nouns. There’s also this post, where it states that:

We did this language by language. It’s always difficult to come up with some sort of multiplier for word requirements, but we did our best by looking at the number of unique words used in some of our basic LingQ-produced courses.

Where are the Cambridge lists…do you have a link?

There are a few word lists compiled which I think are interesting.

But here is one for what school students should no for school purposes (it is nowhere near how many words they will know from other subjects like football/fashion)
Microsoft Word - 119231_84669-vocabulary-list (cambridgeenglish.org)

Then there is the academic word list from New Zealand which I would imagine is quite useful to translate into any target language.
Academic Word List sublist families | School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies | Victoria University of Wellington (wgtn.ac.nz)

2 Likes

@EABurgess interesting. I have uploaded those lists so to refine what’s missing. The Cambridge goes until B2.

1 Like

Surely not too much is missing? You seem quite advanced.

1 Like

@EABurgess the Cambridge list doesn’t have much in it for me but I haven’t gone through the entire list yet. I haven’t intensively used LingQ for English yet, but I’m doing that now more and more.
It is a good way to check some word to fill the gaps, it would be great if they had a list until C2.

The Victoria University’s list is interesting because they have less words, but they have all their variations. It’s a good strategy to “complete” the vocabulary in a faster way.