Word-squashing

I cut-and-paste some (public domain) content to make my own lessons. The source was plain-text with manual line-breaks.

Unfortunately, when I create LingQs, the line-breaks are removed but they are not replaced by a single space, so I end up with two words squashed together in the “phrase” for the LingQ.

Regards,
Julian

Have you tried:

first copy and paste into word. Do a search and replace on hard line breaks, replacing them with spaces. The disadvantage of this method is that you tend to lose all your paragraphination (is that a word? It ought to be!) but for LingQ purposed you may not care.

ps the LingQ lesson editor is pretty basic. In general this is a feature, because you can copy and paste all kinds of stuff and it will strip out the gizmos and leave you with just words. Losing line breaks is a bummer though. I have the same problem formatting plain text files into Word documents for my ebook reader. I have wondered if an intermediate conversion to PDF might solve the problem but can’t be bothered to try it as yet!

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes I could do that but, to be honest, it took me long enough to cut-and-paste all 37 chapters of this novel the first time!!

Note that it’s not the LingQ lesson-editor that is stripping the newlines - the newlines are kept and reproduced when you read the lesson. It’s only when you create a LingQ that the “phrase” has words squashed together.

p.s. is this the correct forum, or should I have posted this in “LingQ updates and Known Issues”?

Mmm…that sounds like a less useful “feature” of LingQ. I should mention it in the support forum if I were you. Mark can add it to his “To Do” list.

You seem to be getting better advice than I could give jtibbes! :slight_smile: All I was going to suggest is to click the paint brush icon in the editor which is supposed to remove strange formatting. I will add this to the list of things to look into.