Why don't people create more LingQs?

I’ve tried it. Didn’t like it. Worse than studying grammar and doing drills. This is my opinion, and I would meanwhile encourage anyone who enjoys LingQ’s flashcard interface to stick with it. Do whatever works, whatever you enjoy. In fact, I would reckon that there are plenty who like LingQ’s because they don’t work like Anki at all. It’s a personal preference. I was merely answering Steve’s question, answering soley for myself; I was not looking to be “persuaded,” tho’ it’s nice of you to give it a shot.

“How about C/P the printing file to Excel. That’s how it used to be done.”

If it only was a matter of 25-100 LingQs I could have done that (or even copy everything directly from the vocabulary page, and edit out the irrelevant info with “Find and replace”). The statistics tell me that I have created 27 420 Russian LingQs so far. When I export that amount, I want a file I can use.

" I was not looking to be “persuaded,” tho’ it’s nice of you to give it a shot."

I guess you have lots of self-esteem. Are your methods proven to work for you in the sense that that you have learned 1 or 2 languages well enough to make videos or what not. (Serious question)

Jeff, you raise some issues about exporting. I will email you separately and we will get any bugs worked out. It should be possible to export from LingQ and import to Anki.

My experience has been that the LingQ creation is not very intuitive, it is hard to know how to do it

having to use that @#^%$#@ dashboard is MUCH more difficult now…how would anyone know that doubleclicking on a possible definition for the word would create a LingQ?

It was also nice being able to create your own hints, that feature should be put back in, sometimes the ones that are associated with words either aren’t appropriate or are in a language other that the one that you are fluent in

@Ichigo-kun - You don’t have to double click on a hint to create the LingQ. One click is enough or use your keyboard arrow keys to move and Enter key to select a hint. You will also see the Check Dictionary button which opens the dictionary and lets you create your own hint. Also, clicking the pencil that appears to the left of a hint when you hover on it allows you to edit that hint. If you do prefer to hover, you can do so in minimized mode. Just click the - in the right top corner of the dashboard. I think you’ll find the dashboard grows on you if you just get used to it.

I agree that LingQing is essential part of learning languages by this method, but I want to ask you something. I found out when I listened again to my old lessons in French that I forgot almost all words. Should I restudy these texts, or should I just go on, and someday I will be able to understand stuff which I read and listened to much earlier?

@ Ninche

I would just continue and not worry about it. The most common words are always going to keep reappearing anyway and sooner or later they will sink in. :slight_smile:

@Mark - thanks for the reply…I still don’t understand the whole process of adding a new hint…I see the dictionary page
that comes up, but I don’t see any controls to actually add a new definition or hint

It probably doesn’t help that the right hand side of the dashboard is never visible, it stays off-screen and doesn’t move when the scroll bar moves the lesson (background) page… it is possible that something on that side actually does something important

I see the pencil, which lets you add to the title of the LingQ but not actually create a hint box ( ie I can change the LingQ for “lontano” to “lontano means far” which I suppose works to an extent, but prevents you from using the LingQ for vocabulary exercises

Complicating the problem is the issue of LingQ’s that get attached to the wrong definition, for example the LingQ for the word “senza” insists that it means “buy” and claims that it is derived from the verb “comperare” in a Google Translate box

There is no way that I can see to fix this, so I either delete the LingQ and work without it or learn the wrong meaning for the word :frowning:

@Ichigo_kun - What size is your screen? If the dashboard doesn’t fit fully then it sounds like it would be due to you having a smaller screen or using a small browser window when accessing the site. Would you be able to take a screenshot and send it to support (at) lingq.com so we may have a better idea of what you’re looking at?

I think that the issues you are experiencing are all related to not being able to see the full dashboard, so once we are able to see what you see then we can provide some appropriate suggestions.

@Alex - sorry for the late reply-just back from holidays
screen SIZE is 26" monitor, RESOLUTION is 1024x768

The problem with the dashboard is that it is located way off-screen
to the right, no matter how far I move the scroll bars, it stays there
(ie it is not attached to the lesson screen)

I am sending a screenshot to support of what my POV is when looking at the dashboard

thanks

@Ichigo_kun - OK, thanks for sending over the screenshot. Would you be able to confirm what you have the font size set to in Chrome? Here are instructions on how to check this: Change text, image, and video sizes (zoom) - Computer - Google Chrome Help

If your font size is set to anything other than Medium it will cause the page to display strangely. Instead, we recommend using the zoom function. If your font size is set to Medium and it’s still causing issues then we’ll have to take a closer look and see what might be causing this.

Hi Alex, my Chrome setting is Medium, 100% zoom

It also behaves this way in Firefox (IE 10 won’t load LingQ for me, crashes at login screen)

thanks for your interest in solving this issue!

PS to my mind though, it still doesn’t change the principal problem though in that the process is non-intuitive

why wouldn’t the developers base the LingQ creation around the word or phrase as it appears on-screen?
(ie by right-click on the word or a highlighted phrase to get a menu of what to do with this data…right clicking
to get a contextual menu is pretty much a standard convention for text processing… think spell-check or
copy-paste, for instance…)

Having a system where you highlight a word and then something happens off-screen where it doesn’t give you any
feedback, doesn’t make sense from a user-friendly perspective…you can’t tell that the task has completed successfully, or that the definition was the one that you were expecting

When there is no pre-defined “hint” it is even more confusing, because the user is given a window full of html or js code that possibly contains a link to an external page (some dictionary program) but it doesn’t tell you what to do with it

At that point, it is just easier to open a new browser window and Google up the word normally to get it’s meaning…but you don’t have the option to make a new LingQ for it…so probably a lot of users have to store their new word definitions in something OTHER than LingQ because they simply don’t know how to make a new one from scratch

maybe I’m the odd man out here, but I suspect that lots of people TRY LingQ get frustrated and then leave without asking for help…learning a new language is daunting enough without having to play a very unsatisfying guessing game with the interface on top of it all

In case anyone is wondering, I don’t dislike LingQ, I REALLY want it to work for me and have come back several times over the years hoping that it will be a better time to learn, but the interface in general and the broken screen layout is really a BIG barrier for me

@Ichigo_kun - OK, thanks for checking the font size and zoom. I guess my next question is why you have such a low resolution on a large monitor? The resolution you are using is the same as is on the iPad 1, a screen that is only 10".

Are you able to change the resolution to something larger, such as 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 and see if the page is still rendering incorrectly?

I think much of the feedback that you shared above is due to the fact that you are having interface issues. See the videos on the Academy page for an example of what the site should look like.

@Alex
At higher resolution, the screen is so crowded and blurry that I can’t read it properly

I normally run at 800x600 but I increase it to the higher resolution to get a wider screen so that more of the page is visible,

It still doesn’t help with the dashboard because it still auto-positions off-screen,independent from the main page

I’ll send a screencap of what the lesson screen looks like at the higher res

thx

Mike

@Alex

Thanks for the tip Alex…I looked at the videos on the Academy page and realized that my screen doesn’t look ANYTHING like that, don’t know why

One discovery from watching those videos is that the LingQ hints come up by clicking on a word BUT ONLY IF THE DASHBOARD IS MINIMIZED

At the higher resolution, I can see the right side of the dashboard and so long as I don’t click anywhere else on the page
if I click the “minimize” button on the dashboard, it shrinks down and then I can context click the words in the lesson

I just have to start in hi-res, shrink the dashboard then restore the screen res to 1024x768 so that I can see the words

Not a very elegant solution, but it is something anyway… I’ll keep watching the other videos to see if there are more nuggets

@Ichigo_kun - OK, that sounds good. Very few users on the site have a resolution as small as 1024x768. Instead, the site is optimal on resolutions of 1280x800 or larger.