Why do my points I gained(near 9,000), the ones which are on the list of the community

With today, it will be the fifth time I am writing about losing my points I gained by working hard. I was not just working for my points but it has stimulated my studying when I was gaining points days after days. I was at the second position and I was proud of myself. It was for me a great achievement. Now the school has begun and I cannot work like I used to work but each week-end I am working and yes I was watching my points. Since around six days I look at my points, the ones which are on the list of the community and today I lost my second position and I lost the half of my points I gained with so much work. I feel really sad and deceived, not only for the points I gained, but also for the lack of consideration from the workers who have the responsability to answer to people who has problems or worries in the forum or when I write to them by e-mails. Perhaps I am judging too fast but I hope that I will have an answer about my question. Johanne

Your question is confusing as you mix the term “points” with the Activity Score. Mark has explained how points worked and how the activity score works on two separate occasions. I also answered you on my blog where you posted the question. You have not acknowledged any of these explanations but keep expressing your unhappiness.

I think that the degree of attention to customers’ concerns that we provide here is very high. I am sorry that you feel otherwise.

Johanne,

I have replied two times to your email you sent to support. It is not our fault if you choose to ignore your emails.

Your Activity Score, which I think you are referring to, shows your activity for the last 30 days. It will not keep going up forever. If you were more active last month than this month, it will decrease this month. If you are more active this month than last month, it will increase this month. By month, I am referring to the most recent 30 day period and the previous 30 day period.

Johanne,

Look on the bright side. Getting upset over your Activity Score decline,and then writing a bunch of comments about it are all signs of motivation and good practice for your English.

Also please realize that the purpose of the Forum is to allow members to help each other, which they usually do. Not every post will be answered by a member of the LingQ team. I think the confusion over the use of the term Points made it difficult for people to help you since they did not understand your problem.

My activity score is fluctuating, sometimes up, sometimes down, because I don’t put in the same amount of work every day or even every week.

As long as my score is higher than Steve’s I don’t mind if it is up or down :wink:

Thanks! Yes I was motivated, perhaps too much, so it really not upseted me but deceived me. I did not want to write a bunch of comments but I really wanted to receive an answer because I really did not understand why I was losing all what I gained and I though , I really thought that I did not received answered. Never I ignored a message, like Mark told me in his comment that I just received, never I ignored a message. If I received it I did not saw it. However me I thought you were ignoring my bunch of comments. It would have been more simple to write and to ask what I wanted to say with the points. Now I now it was the activity score which were declining. No I did not read because I did not see it , the article about how the activity score works because if I have had seen how it works I would not have written these bunch of comments. I would have been more simple if you have sent me the link. I have difficulty with the technology and it is not because I did not try. I always try to solve my problems.
Sorry for all these sad comments and the troubles I gave you. I think that the activity scores are just not good for me because I am too ambitious and I was too motivated… Johanne

It is nice to have a comment from members of the community. I feel less alone than I was feeling this week. Now I understand how the activity cores works. Thanks Blue sky! Johanne

Johanne,
Numbers can be deceiving in many areas of life…politics, communities, polls, research, etc. The real measure of your success is your own enjoyment of the language. You are an enthusiastic discussion participant and you write beautiful stories. These things are a much more important than numbers, charts and graphs. You love English, and you bring a lot of joy to people through your use of the language!

Dear Julie! I am really greatful for your comment as always. I am leaving for school with some tears of joy now. This event is a lesson for me and probably it will be another nice sunny story that I will offer to you Julie. Thanks to remain me to the true things. Johanne

I used to take the activity score quite seriously. I was on the top 20 list for a few months (for overall, not just specific languages). Then I was busy, and I never climb back up. Nowadays, I rarely take it too seriously.

I think the activity score system does help a lot to motivate new users. But we must understand that it is not accurate, and it does not take into account many different aspects.

For example, I have been doing a lot of reading. At the beginning, I created a lot of LingQs, so I gained a lot. Then slowly I started to create less, simply because I knew more words. As the same time I “learned” less words simply because I created less. In addition, I use an SRS outside LingQ to learn my vocabulary. So my “learned” LingQs do not registered in LingQ. Gradually, my activity score does not do as well as before.

But then I turn to look at other achievements I have done in LingQ. For example, I have accumulated more than 23,000 known French words. You must understand that the growth of learned words is not linear. It is quite hard to get a significant increase after about 20,000.

Now, when I look at the ranking, I congratulate the top listed members. At the same time, I know that I am doing well myself.

The Activity Score is just one of many ways that we try to motivate learners in this e-learning environment of ours. Of course it cannot be absolutely accurate or fair for all, nor take into consideration activities that it does not measure. It is still a useful indicator.

Thanks Edwin to have shared your experience. Yes it is true that is is not completely accurate because me too I read a lot and not on the LingQ and I do not import my text. I also listen a lot but not on LingQ. Up until now I will not look out for the activity score because it has done nothing really good for me. Like you said I will turn myself at other achievements like to continue to write, because I love writing and I am beginning to write in French and in English in order to publish two different books. I am also creating a lot of languages activities for children, in Spanish and in English in order to make the language learning fun and interesting for them. I also really enjoy participating in some discussions in English and in Spanish with Berta. I know I am doing well even I cannot be always near the top and it is what it is important. Like you wrote, congradulations to the persons who are at the top and near the top. Thanks for your opinion Edwin. Johanne

I think the fluctuating Activity Score is a nice feature. For two reasons, one being that if a new person signs on to LingQ within month they can catch up to everyone else, score wise. If the score just kept growing it could be discouraging look at the activity scores people of people who have been on LingQ for several years as you might feel as if you wouldn’t fit in or be able to catch up. Secondly, with the 30 day activity score, changing little every day, you can see if you are working as hard as you were before.
My score will to be going down in the next few months, because I have had the summer off and I went back to work this week. Keeping my score high score isn’t really that important to me, because I see language learning as being an individual thing. How fast I learn a language or the way in which I learn isn’t going to be the same for me as for someone else. The activity score only measures how much work I’ve done on the sight.
Also, I could have a really high known word count and be less fluent or less able to read than someone who has smaller word count, because the other person may keep studying the same words over and over until they really get them. There are so many variables in the way people study and learn that you can’t look at someone else statistics and make judgment about their language abilities. But, I do enjoy having the scores there to look at, even if they are only measuring my effort, because being able to see that I’m doing something encourages me to keep on working.

Hi Tuppence!
It is another way to see it and I can’t completely disagree with your point of you; there are so many kind of students and of course so many ways of studying. And yes it is right that it would not be fair for the new students that the ancient learners keep what they gained, if they are not working hard like they were used to do it before. However, these scores were becoming too important for me, and for me they will never be important again. To answer and to communicate on the forum is not counted in the activity scores, and I really think that it is a good practice of reading and of writing, which motivate myself to continue my English learning much more than the activity scores. I don’t need to go on the activity score, to know if I am working hard. I know by myself and it is more representative and accurate because I know what I did to practice my English or my Spanish.
I really don’t need them to be motivate. Johanne

Johanne wrote:
“I read a lot and not on the LingQ and I do not import my text. I also listen a lot but not on LingQ.”

I often import digital material such as Wikipedia articles. Both the level and the length is usually just right. That means I can save words to my dictionary. The bad thing is that I don’t get any audio, but I practice my listening comprehension on some online radio station - and keep track of my listening time by adding the minutes/hours manually here at LingQ.

Yes you’re right Jeff. Me also, really often, I was not able to import my audio on the Lingq, so I record on my old machine recorder and I listen to it when I take a walk, when I do dishes and so on, but I do not enter my listening manually on LingQ, for me it is a lost of time, in my studying. Johanne

The FAQ says this:

"Activity Score = (Created LingQs)+Learned LingQs+Words of Writing+(# of Events*60)

Manually entered Writing and Speaking numbers are not included in the Activity Score."

So regardless if you add anything or not, the score wouldn’t change.

Thanks Jeff for the information. Johanne