Who uses LingQ by city and by country

Vilnius is number one!!!

Cantotango,

In the whole population of 8 million Kongers, as I remember them, educated, energetic, affluent, lively, interested in the finer things in life, gourmets, hospitable show-offs, annoying and lovable, afflicted with all of the virtues and vices of the rest of the human race, you cannot find a Cantotango II?

Steve,

I don’t have that many friends, that’s why I am spending my time on LingQ! (Or is it because it’s the other way round?) Anyway, the people I’ve talked to, they invariably believe that to learn a language, you need to find a teacher. I tried to persuade them otherwise, but they were not convinced. Also people here seem to like exams a lot. When they learn a language, to make sure the time is not wasted, they want to take the relevant exams so that they can add the qualifications to the resume in hope of finding a better job. Sigh…

I don’t have a Facebook account. Is it possible to put your LingQ badge on your facebook page?

mrbatis,
Look at this thread:

Cantotango,
Same thing in Greece… everybody there studies 1,2 even 3 languages but purely so they can put it on their CVs. There is language schools in every neighborhood and they’re flooded with students after the school hours. But it’s not because they’ve got a keen interest in learning a language but mostly because all parents sent their kids to gain more qualifications. When i was at school my dad never sent me in a private class and he was trying to convince me that there is no need for that. He came back home one day with a Linguaphone self study package and i was laughing at him, how is it possible i ll learn on my own when Everybody else is taking classes? Daddy… i never listen to you! Haha!

mrbatis,
Look at this thread:

Cantotango,
Same thing in Greece… everybody there studies 1,2 even 3 languages but purely so they can put it on their CVs. There is language schools in every neighborhood and they’re flooded with students after the school hours. But it’s not because they’ve got a keen interest in learning a language but mostly because all parents sent their kids to gain more qualifications. When i was at school my dad never sent me in a private class and he was trying to convince me that there is no need for that. He came back home one day with a Linguaphone self study package and i was laughing at him, how is it possible i ll learn on my own when Everybody else is taking classes? Daddy… i never listen to you! Haha!

WEll, we Brits never bother to learn foreign languages. See this article: The plight of the British polyglot | Ruth Collins | The Guardian

Helen, try tinyurl.com next time :slight_smile:

Hi guys,
Steve speaks no Hindi and that’s a big issue, because there are no people from India. Those people love to learn English and we need someone who can show the way for them.