Which is the best method to study at LingQ (share experiences)

Hello

I am learning French and Right Now I have 6953 Known Words

I have been using LingQ for 1 month and this is my method:

1.- Listen to the audio without pausing or making lingqs, only concentrating on pronunciation and intonation of words
2.- Read the text on my own and make new lingqs
3.- Listen to the audio again but this time paying attention in the new lingqs I’ve done
4.- Repeat the audio until I understand almost every word (Lingqs) of the text

I do not know if it is the best method, so I make this post to learn different methods or ways to get the best results by language learning in the LingQ system

thanks

I import texts, by scanning, that I want to read. I don’t make LingQs unless I truly want to see that word in yellow, in subsequent texts. This would be the case with a word that is relatively opaque to me. If a blue word is fairly obvious in how it works, then I don’t bother to turn it yellow. Most of the time, when I turn a word yellow (make it a LingQ), I do a little word study, which normally includes indicating a root, or constituent, word. So for example, I recently made a LingQ out of “Reederei”, for which I prepared the following definition: “shipping company: die Reede = road, safe anchorage”. Doing a little study like that takes longer, but perhaps because I am old-fashioned, I crave to see the workings of a word. I don’t want to see merely that “Reederei” is “shipping company”, but I want to see that “Reede” has a meaning within that word. Now “Reederei” is more transparent to me.

I don’t worry too much about audio because the more I read, the more words I notice when I turn on the German radio. But ideally I’d do more listening.

I don’t use the lessons provided very much, because I want to read my stuff. But when I want to do audio practice, then of course I’ll use the lessons, because they are set up so you can read and hear simultaneously.

Edit to add: Reede probably has more to do with shipping and anchoring, than with “roads” per se. But anyway, the word becomes transparent to me when I look into the details. Thanks to SanneT for the heads-up!

It is hard to say what is best. It depends on what you like to do. The best way to learn languages is to enjoy the process and spend a lot of time at it.

I tend to do a lot of LingQing. You can see this from my profile. I go through a lesson LingQing every word that I don’t know or have any doubts about. I will then read the lesson either on the computer or more likely on my iPad. The advantage of reading on the computer is that it is easier to LingQ phrases. I then download the audio and listen to it at least once. If I am a beginner or early intermediate, I will listen to the audio several times. In the early stages I will also reread the lesson. I may also review the saved words and phrases related to this lesson. Then I listen again and again. As I progress, I tend to listen less often to the same material, eventually only once.

I feel that it is the fact that I run into these yellow saved LingQs over and over again that helps me acquire the vocabulary. My lessons are literally covered in yellow saved LingQs.

From a practical point of view, I spend about 70% of my time listening and 30% of my time reading and LingQing. It is just easier to find the time to listen.

It also depends very much on what your goals are.

If you want to improve your pronunciation, you need to focus on listening.

If you want to increase your vocabulary, you need to focus on reading and reviewing saved Lingqs.

If you want to increase your confidence with speaking, you need to take part in conversations with natives.

I have a rough plan of my goals year by year, month by month, week by week, day by day. If you aren’t clear what you are trying to achieve you are going to feel frustrated and overwhelmed at some point.

Right now I am focussing on reading. I want to raise my reading speed and reading comprehension, in French and German, to the level of a fifteen-year old native. At that rate I think I could read a (not very complicated) novel in a week.

Last year I was focussing on building up my listening comprehension so that I could listen to audiobooks and podcasts comfortably, and I achieved that, more or less.

Next year, I hope to work on my writing skills.

What do you want to get better at?

cellabos you have described the approach I use, basically consuming content and lingqing, however because I have recently subscribed to the paid service I am also importing a lot of content, if nothing on lingq takes my fancy I can create my own content its really easy to do and it allows you to create content that you find interesting. I have quite a bit of music that I like to listen to, I have the music video and lyrics all in one place, the content and conversational stuff on lingq is probably more effective but sometimes a bit of low level input is good, especially when my brain is a bit fatigued.

on a secondary point I have been learning french for years and my progress has been slow, I honestly feel since using lingq seriously my comprehension and confidence in French has accelerated.
firstly because I can import content so I can please myself
secondly I can concentrate on grammar when I want 10 to 20 minutes a day is sufficient for me
thirdly the little avatar keeps me motivated (thought it was patronizing at first, I was wrong) sometimes I will spend an extra half an hour on lingq just to get an artifact
and finally looking at what other people have achieved on this site keeps me motivated.
fantastic site and for people like me who struggle with basic grammatical terms ( I know what verbs and nouns are the rest gets fuzzy) its a godsend, if you have a good vocabulary eventually everything else will slip into place, who knew!

I want to go through my favorite operas. I have them all ‘queued up’! lol