Which Asian language to study (with Korean)?

Hi,

I have a “problem”. I have to decide which language to study. I really like Japanese and Korean culture, but I can study just one of these languages at university (you cannot combine Japanese with other language/subject), BUT you can combine Korean language with other language. People think that I should study Chinese and I think it’s really useful, but I am not interested in Chinese culture and history and I think it will be really hard to study Chinese with Korean (especially if I am not interested at all). The best solution would be to study Japanese and Korean, but the university just doesn’t allow it. You can study Vietnamese language, which is really interesting to me (my father comes from Vietnam). But again, you can study just Vietnamese and you can’t combine it. I think it’s bad, because I do not want to study just one language. I can study Mongolian language, but I am not sure if I am interested in it (but I study Russian language, so it can be useful to me). And I can also study Tibetan language, but again - I don’t know anything about this language/culture and I am not sure if I want to study it. I need to prepare for entrance exams, but I simply cannot.

Can you help me to decide, please? Tell me some pros and cons and maybe something special about every single country/language… and maybe I will be able to decide. And there are not other universities, where you can study Asian languages, so other university is not a solution.

Honestly, I can’t tell you which language to choose. That’s up to you. Success in language learning depends on motivation. You have to be motivated to learn. If you choose a language someone else told you to learn you won’t have as much fun doing it. You don’t want to learn Chinese, so don’t learn it, even if people tell you to. This is kind of the same thing with asking others to help you choose. It all boils down to which culture and history you find more interesting.

2 Likes

Generally speaking, studying more than one Asian language has its merits and demerits because Asian languages are very different from each other. Unless one wants to be a linguist or something, giving your intellectual energy on another subject is more fruitful. In addition, choosing a subject at school might make you lose your interest in the subject. Choose more than one language at your own risk.

I guess the university understands the risks of learning 2 Asian languages together, that’s why they do not allow it. Aren’t you interested in learning any Asian language together with any European?

Thanks for replying :slight_smile: I am really undecisive person :smiley: I am not interested in any European language. Russian is good, but I do not want to study it. I can also choose politician and International relations, but… It is not something, what I would like to study.

2 Likes

Both Politics and International Relations are interesting subjects. You can relate these subjects to language learning. I cannot imagine a person who is not interested in International Relations and IS interested in foreign languages.

“You can study Vietnamese language, which is really interesting to me (my father comes from Vietnam). But again, you can study just Vietnamese and you can’t combine it.”
You might want to study Vietnamese and International Relations.

The problem is you cannot combine Vietnamese with anything. You just have to study Vietnamese with nothing. And this is really unpromising. And the International relations and politics (together in one subject) focuses on Czech politics and I am not really into Czech politics (the history of Czech politics, nowadays politics, etc.). This is a bit demotivating for me, but I can overcome this. So should I study Korean with Politics and International relations? Do you think I have good future prospects? (jobs etc.)

Nice !!! Culture Japanese Success in language learning on Motivation all life

One thing I learned from experience is that, with the one big exception of English, speaking foreign languages doesn’t really help you in your career as much as some would make you believe. As already mentioned in the thread, for career advancement, jobs, etc, it is far more lucrative to concentrate on improving your English. Truly good command of English (most of us have a lot of room for improvement) is likely to help you in any kind of career because the world is pretty much set up with English as the communication medium.

This is also very true in Korea you mention (my native country). Good command of English will get you a good job ten times faster than speaking fluent Korean (every Korean’s already got that, you know:-) English is considered almost a necessary condition for success over there.

I am not trying to discourage you from studying other foreign languages, but just trying to give you a realistic picture from my perspective. People learn foreign languages (except English) for the love of them, not because they might help them in their careers.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion :slight_smile: I’ll do my best.

1 Like

Hi ! =))

And you don’t have to! :wink: Because you’re a Czech, there’s a lot of local citizens who know Russian much much better than the Russians themselves, believe me, really!

By the way, as for Chinese, you may regard it as basically the English for East Asia! :wink: So, if you think about being involveld with East Asia in the future, no matter in which aspect, then Chinese is nearly a “must” for you; provided, of course, you learn the language out of purely career considerations! :wink: