When to change word status

I’ve recently come to review my strategy here at LingQ and I’ve come to see that I get bored easily when I stick to the same lesson for a long period of time. I’ve started to LingQ all the words of a new lesson and listen and read a few times and then move on. The only thing I’m concerned about is when to change the words to “known”. I know that I will see my LingQs in future lessons and that’s the point but how many times should I see a word or recognize it before I make it “known”. Also, how many times do you listen and read each lesson you come across?

@danm34 - You absolutely should not stay with lessons when you are bored with them. If you are not interested, the efficiency drops significantly. There is no hard and fast rule about how long to stay with content. Do what you feel like. Likewise, there is no hard and fast rule for when you “know” a word. At whatever point you are pretty confident you always recognize a word, mark it as known. Later on, if you forget what it means, you can always click on it anyway to see the hint and change it’s status back to 3 or 2 or whatever you like. Regarding listening and reading, I am more likely to listen to beginner lessons many times and then as I progress try to consume more and more lessons while reading and listening to each fewer times. Once in advanced lessons and imported articles I may only read them once. It’s up to you.

1 Like

I don’t change the status of any words as I find they automatically start at ‘1’ and then move to ‘4’ as they continue to appear in texts…I guess that’s how the system is supposed to work. I think if I ever had to look up the meaning of a word that had reached level 4 and I still hadn’t learned it by that time, then I would change the status back to ‘1’ or ‘2’.

I tend to listen to the audio once or twice first and then read through the text once to add new Lingqs or to mark off already known words and then listen and read at the same time and speak along with the audio. I don’t spend too long on any one particular text as I have the attention span of a goldfish! :slight_smile: