When should I stop using Lingq?

Yes, but that also means that the words with the most different forms are the words we learn first, and the words with the least different forms are often words we can figure out from the context.

If you’re at 30,000 words and you feel you’re not there yet, could it be that you’re focusing too much on the words you don’t know, rather than letting the meaning flow through the context, as native speaking kids do when they’re learning to read?

It’s important, I think, not to let ourselves get bogged down when the occasional word comes along that we aren’t sure of.

I would personally feel comfortable if I found 2 - 5 unknown words per page. But it’s a personal preference. You can read with the help of a dictionary / online tools earlier on, take notes and make flashcards with the unknown vocabulary you read in context.

2 Likes

But when you first learn words that have lots of different forms, you need to accumulate more known words to even get to a place where it’s possible to get words from the context. Even if you can get some words from the context, I have noticed that there are quite an amount that are practically impossible to hone in on. Or atleast not in a reasonable timeframe considering the repetitions. Early stages you might get lots of repetitions, but when words get more infrequent you barely remember you have encountered that word. I find being able to quickly view general meaning speeds up the process immensely. Lingqs goals for known words are probably quite accurate indication of level of vocabulary.

No, I probably just concentrate more on what I miss than what I get. It’s not that it bothers me that much when reading, but it indicates my language level. I don’t want to get too caried away with how far I have progressed or how much I have to go. I feel like it’s easy to stagnate your progress when you overestimate your level. I rather be modest with my level and be curious about things I could still learn.

2 Likes

I love when I encounter Russian without the benefit of Lingq! It’s a challenge, and lately I have been able to read more of it. It’s like riding a bike without training wheels.

That said, that’s what I love about listening to Lingq playlists while out and about: I can’t stop to look up words. My brain has to struggle and learn from context. Love it.

1 Like