When I hover over a blue word - the hints are gone?

Hi LingQ, I’ve been using LingQ for about 2 months now and love it!

However, recently, I don’t know if I changed my dictionary settings, but for some reason, now when I hover over a blue word, I get no definition or hint? Did I change something in my settings?

I’d like to change it back and have those definitions or hints displayed when I hover over a blue word.

thanks so much for your help!
-Aaron

@AaronRVA - That sounds strange. Can you try ctrl-refreshing (command + refresh on Mac) that page on the site. Sometimes, some funny things get cached but ctrl-refreshing cleans out your cache and straightens things out.

Hi Mark, thanks for the tip. I’ve gone ahead and cleared my cache for Firefox and reloaded the page. I’ve also tried to use it for Chrome. It’s still not providing hints for fairly basic words about 75% of the time. The other 25%, yes, there are words showing up.

Methinks it happened when I inadvertently clicked on the “settings” of the Dictionary page when I wanted to create a link. I changed it to Wordreference, and then accidentally changed the language to Spanish. Then, it was giving a few word hints and definitions in Spanish, so I changed it back to English.

But yeah, I don’t know if that’d make a difference, but I definitely noticed it was a stark change from when it was giving plenty of hints/definitions, to when it was giving just a very few.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Otherwise, everything else is working great and I absolutely love the site!

thanks,
-Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Are the blue popups simply not appearing for those words or are they appearing but not containing any existing hints? There are many words that will not have existing hints depending on which language you are studying and which language you are translating to. The more popular languages and dictionary languages will have more hints, of course. The appearance of hints should have nothing to do with your settings other than the dictionary language setting you have chosen.

Glad you like the site!

Hi Mark, yep, they are appearing but most don’t have hints. I’m glad to know it’s not my settings. Your explanation makes sense to me, and I guess it sounds like I am progressing in my Spanish because I’m getting to those less common words now.

Thanks so much for the response.

have a good one,
-Aaron