What's the difference between Ihnen and dir

It’s possible, but unlikely. We have not recorded any of these talks yet. I will ask about it.

@Colin. The “Österreichisches Wörterbuch” says “benutzen = benützen”, also for all compounds. I personally prefer “benützen” when I mean “verwenden”, whereas “benutzen” gives me a feeling of “abnutzen, abgenutzt - wear down/out, worn”, but this may not be based on actual usage by Austrians. We often get confused by small differences between German and Austrian usage (articles, pronunciation) and sometimes we may develop out own idea of such differences.

Thank you for pointing out your lecture at the Sternwarte. I’ve found it on the website: http://homepage.univie.ac.at/paula.teixeira/sternwartennaechte.html

@ alleray

Sorry, my talk has been canceled. There will still be a talk, but not by me. It will be about Mars and it will be in German.

@alleray @Colin I live in NRW, Germany, so that’s very far from Vienna in Austria. The lectures at the stellar observatory seem to be very interesting for me, those in English and those in German. I am a big fan of astronomy and I go to all astronomy lectures which are available for me. Unfortunately our local VHS has reduced the astronomy lectures here to only one of them per semester. I am familiar with amateur astronomy magazines in English, but I have never had the chance to attend an astronmy lecture in English (only in German and Dutch).

Fasulye

@ Fasulye

What subjects are you most interested in?

My interest in astronomy is very broad from astrophisics to kosmology, from our solar system to the development of the universe. Important is that I have previous knowledge about all parts of astronomy, so a basic lecture about how the planet XY looks like would perhaps be boring. My latest focus was on all the news about the Tscheljabinsk meteorite (in Russia) and I am now eager to get more information on the nobel prize of Physics 2013, which still very fresh (only two days old!).

Fasulye

For me, the most interesting recent development is the announcement that Voyager 1 has left the solar system. That was to be the subject of my talk.

Regarding the Nobel prize, I remember when I started my PhD in St Andrews, we got a lecture from Peter Higgs. Most of the lecture was him explaining to us all everything that the media wrongly say he did. Other than that, I don’t remember much of what he said. Anyway, I think we should also not forget Professor Whatshisname who jointly won the Nobel prize this year.

Yes, I heard that in the news, that one of the Voyager probes has left the solar system. This can be an interesting lecture, if you combine it with giving background on the Vojager 1 and Vojager 2 space flights. Haven’t read an article so far about this news in “Sterne und Weltraum”.

Fasulye

My talk was going to be about what the heliosphere is and where it comes from instead of about the Voyagers, but both would be very interesting. Voyager 2 is still the only probe to have visited Neptune and Uranus. What I find really interesting about these machines is their technical specifications. The technology is forty years old and is nothing compared to what you have in your smartphone. This is always a problem with these space missions. When the final design for a probe is put together, it needs to use only well tested technology, which means at least five years old, and then it might take ten years to actually make the machine and launch it. Plus, if it goes to one of the outer planets, it is going to take years to get there, at which point the technology is ancient.

Just gave you a rose for explaining me your idea for this specific astronomy lecture. I would be a good audience for a varietey of such topics. Imagine that our local VHS offers only ONE astronomy lecture this second semester 2013 - a general lecture about comets in the solar system.

Fasulye