What's on your mp3 player (besides language lessons)?

I have been bad lately. Instead of using my commuting time for listening to LingQ podcasts, I have been listening to… music!! Please forgive me, but I can’t help myself sometimes.

I am sure I will get back to podcasts soon, but in the meantime, I am wondering what kinds of music everyone has on their mp3 player.

I have mostly pop music. I have a collection of 200 hits from the 60s and I mostly like slightly edgier stuff like the Who, Neil Young and Hendrix.

I have a soft spot for Stan Rogers, a very talented folk musician who was killed too young in a plane crash.

I also have some Jazz: Chet Baker mostly. But I love Satchmo, Bix Beiderbecke, Dizzy, and Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson and Miles Davis.

What’s on your mp3 (besides language lessons)?

This doesn’t really answer your question as I only listen to foreign music at the moment but…

If you’re really serious and want to avoid distraction you could remove all of your music from your ipod, apart from foreign music. This is what I do and it forces me to always listen to the target language. It’s either that or I stare into space, and that always makes me feel guilty lol

Beside my English and French lessons and podcasts I’ve some German podcasts on my MP3 player about different topics. Sometimes I do this to find appropriate content for the German library, sometimes I do this because I like them.
I’ve some German audiobooks on my MP3 player too. Especially when I travel for a long time I like to listen to a German voice. It’s like being at home …
Since I’ve been studying languages I rarely listen to music but I’ve some music on my MP3 player as well: Queen, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Al Stewart, Joshua Kadison, Pink, Nelly Furtado, Rosenstolz, Fettes Brot, Söhne Mannheimes, Die fantastischen Vier and a lot more. Too much to mention all.

Me too, Dooo, I have been lazy lately.
Instead of listen to my English and Portuguese contents, I have been listening to my favourites Rock band Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Cheap Trick… I feel like living in almost 80’s.

When I am tired, I like listening to Baroque and medieval music. The musics of Bach makes me feel relaxing.

Let’s see… my mp3 player says I have 3,256 music. Aerosmith, Beatles, Queen, Thin Lizzy, Gun N Roses, The Jam, Jellyfish, Sex Pistols, Sweet…

Children’s books and children’s songs. I force my children to listen to them on long car journeys. Works better than tranquiliser darts and is legal too :wink:

Feeling like listening to music while I think about other things often gets in my way of listening to language material and podcasts, I think doing that is important too and don’t feel that bad about it.

My ipod is 120gb and I listen to essentially everything except pop/r&b so things like John Coltrane, Black Dhalia Murder, Led Zeppelin, Kanye West, Mozart, Bad Religion, Bright Eyes and other stuff that sounds like what I’ve listed.

@david

I’ve tried to erase all my music but then I just go back and add it. Music is something that enhances, colors and defines my life too much to not have it available on my ipod.

Currently Morbid angel, Cannibal corpse, Marilyn Manson and other great stuff from USA.

In my mp3 player of course I have English lessons besides I also have some music about three songs usually.Mostly I like to listen Eminem,Inna,Rihanna and so on.In fact I don’t listen them so much because most of the time I spend by listening English.

Yes, I have songs of linking park, eminem, madonna. nelly furtado on my ipod apart from language learning lessons. I also listen to indian songs from bollywood.

Apart from these above mentioned singers, to be honest, I have no clue about western music.

I remember words of my eldest sister who was a doctor by profession and I was like 11 years old or something at that time.

She told:

“Anyone who dislikes music must be a mental nutcase.” Yes, I agree with her. Music is just a part of our soul just like a prayer.

So, don’t feel bad at all if you listen to music than language lessons , sometimes a change of routine is good for your soul and mind.

I’d never have thought that somebody here listened to Morbid angel and Cannibal corpse. :smiley:

I listen to them in the morning before going to work. After that, my head is completely fresh and ready to absorb English which I listen to on the journey to work. I am nervous and angry at my workmates without this rite. :))

I don’t think anybody here has heard of these, but since this is a show-off thread, here we go:

Bakithi Kumalo, Bunny Brunel, Coste Apetrea (Jeff may have heard of him), Csaba Deseö, Doug Johns, Edgar Meyer, Gábor Szabó, Kai Eckhardt, Magma, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Pekka Pohjola, UZEB, Vital Tech Tones, Akira Jimbo

Oh yes, Coste Apetrea (from Samla Mannas Manna). Edgar Meyer is also familiar (if it’s the classical double bass player who’s also done some bluegrass work with Bela Fleck, Chris Thile etc.). I even have two albums with Magma, and only yesterday I thought of “the Dane with the neverending name”.

I think I’ve heard of Pekka Pohjola, or at the very least I’ve met someone with a similar name :slight_smile:

@Jeff
Sweet! Yes, Edgar Meyer indeed had an album (maybe more than one) with Bela Fleck called Unfolding. Love the “Dane with the never-ending name” description. I can never remember it beyond “Niels”; maybe up to Henning on a good day.

@Peter
Here is Pekka Pohjola (the one with the bass):
http://bit.ly/nilTga

Stevie Wonder, Lionel Ritchie, Roger Cicero (three German swing, big band albums), Michael Buble, Tom Dice, Revolverheld, Queen, John Mayer, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys.

I dont have a player that plays mp3’s specifically ONLY but I do have an Iphone 4. Other than my language mp3 files I might listen to some podcasts concerning my job field however its Rare. I do on the other hand have a bad habit of watching way too many streaming videos with my Iphone instead of studying.

There are several songs of Coldplay which I really like :-), but I agree that it can be a distraction.

Astamoore, you’ve got fine taste in music! Are you a fellow bassist by any chance?

At the moment I’m listening to quite a mix of stuff: Antonio Forcione, Bela Fleck and The Flecktones, Michael Manring, Thomas Leeb, Jon Gomm, Nguyên Lê, John Martyn, Nick Drake, Pat Metheny, Guthrie Govan, Debussy, Esbjörn Svensson Trio, Michael Hedges, Jurojin, Tool… I better stop because I’ll just end up going on and on.