What to do with Newly created LingQs, just after a lesson?

I been at this for about 2 wks now and have started to import articles from El Pais. Some of these articles are long and I spend at least 30 minutes to 1 hr translating them and creating LingQs.

At the end, I have very many LingQs, around 100.

I have been trying to review these new lingqs by doing Cloze testing on the list. This is turning out to be very very time consuming as it usually tests ALL the new lingqs, and then counts back down and tests them a second time. This probably takes me twice the time of just reading the article.

This is too much. I need to find out how to review these new lingqs in a faster way.

What have you guys been doing with your newly created lingqs?

Dean.

Some of us don’t review them at all. We just wait for the words to come up again in another context.

I also don’t study flashcards or review my LingQs in tests, though some people find this works well. I just create LingQs for words I don’t know, reread texts once or twice then move on and wait until the word pops up again in a new text or in conversation.

OK, Thanks for the input. So don’t worry about testing them just after the lesson, read the article over again a couple more times? This sounds more reasonable. Plus there’s the daily vocab list that comes up to review and cement the new words in your mind also.

Testing them right after finishing the lesson isn’t bad, but it’s short term memory so the words won’t necessarily stick with you. I normally read through a text once (sometimes twice in a row), then maybe go back and read it a week later or so just to get some extra reading practice. The LingQs of the Day list is good because it includes LingQs that were created the day before, giving you a chance to then review some of these words after they have already left your short term memory. I think more than anything though, it’s important to keep it fresh and not get bogged down with the same lesson until you’ve “mastered” all the words. You’ll actually learn much more quickly and enjoy the process more if you just embrace the uncertainty and continue to fill your brain with varying material. Good luck!

Why not break the lesson down into pieces? You can review the LingQ’s by creation date. So why not take a break half way through, and review 50 LingQ’s at a time instead of 100? Alternatively, you might want to look at easier material, where you can read more without encountering as many new words.

@Deanc2000
Mja201 makes a good suggestion to try.
Me, I’m like Alex and Jingle. I used to review vocabulary religiously, but the reviews took too long and they bored me.
However, it should be said that learning LingQs does add to your Activity Score, and if your Activity Score is important to you, you might want to learn at least a few LingQs on a regular basis.

If I may add my 2 cents… The way I do it is that after each lesson, I do the flashcards until everything is in “known” status. Then, I move on to another lesson and so on and so on. After some time, I start to see words that I should know (I have them associated with a “known” status) yet I cannot remember them at all. So, what I do by then is go through my vocab, see words that I don’t remember at all, create ankhi deck and learn on a way just the words themselves. That way, I can learn pretty quickly (still, if I had more time daily, I would progress in a much quicker manner). That’s how it fits me :-).

I am more likely to use flashcards for (pre)existing lingqs before I read the lesson, than after it. Normally, however, I do neither of that.

Futzing around trying to shake the meaning out of your head is not useful 99% of the time in my opinion.

I would like to see an on-screen timer for flashcards. If you can’t get it in (5) seconds, you do not know the word and you get automatic “oops”. So 100 LingQs = +/- 500 seconds = about 8 minutes once through.

I don’t review them for languages I am at intermediate 2 or better in. They come up again, I learn them in context.

For languages I’m beginning in, I write them out. Phonetically if necessary (if I haven’t learned the script yet).

I probably ought to say them aloud as I write them too.

After reading and Lingqing I click the edit button on the LingQ tab and read through each word and adjust the status.
I use the LingQs of the day flashcards on iPhone when on public transport or waiting in a queue.

@Eugrus Peter uses the same approach - flashcards of yellow words before reading. Interesting method, suitable for those with lots of LingQs.

Well if I’m starting, let’s say with a new language, I know 0 words. However, I hate memorizing as I think it is quite ineffective method of learning. So, what I do is I listen to the text several times (like 10 times) and by then, I know most of the words just because I heard it, I read it and I saw the translation in a language I know at the same time. Then, after like 5th reading, I’ll do flashcards everytime after the listening and by the 10th time, I know all of the words. It wouldn’t be ok for me to try to memorize like 100 words even before I would start reading the article. It just wouldn’t be fun for me and that’s what it has to be for me in order to study the language intensively :-). Well, everyone uses what suits him (or her) :-),

whew! I’m glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t review the lingQ lol. I rather like to read more stuff and let the words appear again. I feel like I learn better when I just read and encounter the word again instead of sitting there reviewing all the time.