What should I do now?

Hey all. I’ve come to the end of my “TY danish” book course after working though it for the last few months. And now I’m kinda at a bit of a loose end as to what to do. where’s the next step? Just keep importing more and more newspaper articles into lingq, learn the words from each article and move on? The resources for Danish on the web are scarce to say the very least. The only transcripts I have found have been of very simple text that I already have drilled into my head. I listen to Danish radio, can usually get the “gist” of a newspaper article, But I just don’t really know what to do next. With my other language (Spanish) It’s ridiculously easy to find transcripts on the internet as the web is overflowing with Spanish learning resources, but I just don’t know what I’m going to do with Danish next, transcripts are especially important for it because of it’s sound but there aren’t any :stuck_out_tongue: some advice would be greatly appreciated fellow “Lingqers”

i’ve neared the end of the norwegian lessons here on LingQ and have already found norsk articles about weightlifting (i’m very interested in the sport) to continue making lingqs :slight_smile: i know what you mean about transcripts being important. maybe you can pick up the sounds from continuing to listen to radio and watching movies? maybe downloading audio books?

Watch TV. And films. In Danish and then import the subtitle files (srt files are text files) into LingQ as lessons.

Try this for starters: MEATEC – Sustainable Mining

It’s what I’m doing with Japanese :wink:

Good luck!

a good point mate, all though it’s hard to pick out the sounds if you don’t know what words your listening to.

That’s why you need subtitles. In English and Danish if you can get them.

Fortunately there seem to be a whole load of sites offering subtitles for TV and films, in a variety of languages. They are done by fans so aren’t always accurate, but good enough if you don’t follow them 100% literally.

A good thing about subtitles is they are simple and to the point. None of this “It is a truth universally acknowledged” stuff.

E.g. I have just been looking at the sentence “Let’s open the window on the second floor” from the subtitles to the Japanese kids’ animated film “My neighbour Totoro”. That’s the kind of language I’m talking about!

Corin, I’ve got a couple things you might be interested in. Contact me on my wall.