What kind of content shall I provide?

This time, I’m not writing to inform anyone about a new lesson/collection, but to ask for advice.
In the latest months, I have spent quite a little time writing/translating/recording/sharing lessons in several languages (mostly Italian, Esperanto and Latin, but I’ve also shared my Polish writings after having them recorded by Rhinospike users).
I do enjoy doing this and I don’t only do it because of the points I earn.
Still, I need to manage my time better, so I would like to ask other LingQ members, especially those who use or have used my lessons, what kind of material I’d better share.
Translating beginner lessons into Esperanto and Latin grants me quite a few points, but it doesn’t seem to benefit to many users (it’s so sad to realize that only 2-3 people are studying languages that got over 200 votes on Facebook, but that’s another matter). Besides, translating “Eating Out” into Latin is already quite difficult and my Ecclesiastical pronunciation is not very appreciated…
I have several ongoing collections in Italian (“Un italiano a Sofia” - natural and beginner versions; “Le mie esperienze con CouchSurfing”; conversations with Sabina) and I’d like to make a more natural translation of “Greetings and goodbyes” and “Eating out”, since the new version of “Who is She?” has proven successful.

BUT I must not forget my goal to become a euro-polyglot! I feel I’m not devoting as much time to learning as I am to sharing content.

That’s why I’d like to get advice on how to best organize my content-providing activities, by giving priority to more requested projects and putting the other ones in stand-by.

Any feed-back will be appreciated,
Michele

Mike, since Italian is your native language, it must be relatively quick and easy to create and record content in this language, right?

Just a thought… :wink:

Michele,

Latin and Esperanto are just not popular languages. I could have told you months ago that not many people were going to study them, no matter how many people voted for them in a Facebook poll. If you ask all your LingQ friends to vote for Esperanto, that doesn’t mean they will study it when it comes to LingQ. (Hindi, on the other hand, would be more popular).

You are one of the top ten providers in terms of points, so it seems that you are doing well with whatever you’re doing.

This is why I will not provide content, it takes too much time for not enough reward, in my opinion. I am extremely grateful for what the content providers do (it’s how I’ve learned Spanish to the level I have now), but I don’t understand why they do it.

I know this is not really advice for you, since I’m not a content provider, I just felt like saying something.

@Rank: yes, it’s easier to create content in Italian, but not always very rewarding…

All I can say is - beginner content is boring. Write/translate/record something which people could possibly get interested. Ever thought of a summarised history of Italy in gradually increasing difficulty? I’d even get interested then! haha

Hi Michele, even though I enjoy your lessons and appreciate the time you put in them, the only advice I can give you is to relax a little. If anything, do the ones you enjoy the most. And if you don’t feel like doing the effort it’s fine too.
Do your own stuff, have fun.

Yirtse, I agree about beginner content and will consider your suggestion, even if I would like to achieve some of the existing collections first.

Gracias por tu comentario, Diego. :slight_smile:

Yes, enjoy yourselves. I enjoy currently your discussions with Sabina, but I think the lessons on personal experiences like couchsurfing are good as well. I also like the lessons from Adelberto where he just takes a current topic or some history. There are more than enough items in the italian library at the moment I would think to work on. Of course new items are more than welcomed, but there are may be not enough italian learners to warrent all the effort.

However, the swedish library is porer with respect to variation and number of lessons. If a swedish person would be willing to record or share some easy/intermediate content, that will be very much appreciated!

Thanks for your feedback, Silvia.

I remember someone in the past wrote that the more content is available, the more likely students are to go on learning that language. I would like there to be more learners of Italian, that’s why I’ve been adding different types of content since July 2010.

The Italian library is now much richer than it was in mid-2010, but the number of regular learners is still very small.

The number of learners is not in your hand. We could reflect what could be done to increase the number of learners in the ‘smaller’ languages. To do that, I miss information like: how many italian leaners (may be defined as opening at least one lesson every week) are there. How many people stay active for over a year? If they stop, why do they stop? If they are beginners, what do they think of the ‘LingQ beginners’ collection? (I myself found the Who is She always quite steep going, and if I was not motivated I would have dropped out). I went usually on to listen to other beginner’s content.
Some improvements might be done to get people to stay active for longer.
To attract some people for italian, I could try to get some people to join. E.g. I know there is the ‘Italian linguistic institute’ (I do not know the exact name) here in Grenoble, which has quite a number of courses and people on those courses. I could try to contact them to see whether I could send a little flyer or electronic information (easier), to encourage them to join lingQ.

Thanks for wanting to help me/us get more Italian learners, Silvia. However, it’s difficult to gather the information you wish to have: the Activities page just show the activities one after the other (an idea for an improvement: could you guys add information about the time when activities are done, like “5 Dec 11, 7.20 pm mikebond is studying an imported lesson”? Or just the date would be ok, too).
As to why they stop, it would be even more difficult to find out. People who forget about LingQ wouldn’t probably reply to messages asking the reason why they left.
Anything you can do will be helpful (or useless, in the worst case, but not harmful, anyway).

Hi Michele, would you mind if I ask you how often a lesson for intermediate or advanced learners are taken (on an average base)? Then I would share my experience for German with you, if you’re interested.

I certainly don’t mind, Vera, especially if it can help you to help me! :slight_smile:

My own intermediate collections:
“Un italiano a Sofia” (A2-B1): 15 lessons, read 711 times (avg. 47 times/lesson)
(for comparison: “Un italiano a Sofia” for beginners has 21 lessons that were read 1109 times, i.e. 53 times/lesson)
“Le mie esperienze con CouchSurfing” (B1): 5 lessons (I’m writing the 6th now), read 107 times (i.e. over 20 times/lesson, which is good if you consider I started this collection in October).

Should I give some data about the third-part collections I shared, too (audiobooks, podcasts, etc.)?

Angela, I do not think it is a matter of Esperanto versus Hindi. We just need more learners at LingQ. It is not obvious to me that Hindi would attract more learners than Esperanto or Arabic. I feel that the Beta languages program is progressing nicely, including our most recent addition Turkish. Now we just need to get the total membership base up.

I believe that the most popular and attractive lessons are ones that reflect the life experience of our members, or which address in a flexible and innovative way, issues of grammar and word usage.

Hi Michele, I think that this is not too bad. For example the lessons of Vera’s Tagebuch (Intermediate) are taken only 37 times on average, lessons of Vera’s diary for beginner are taken about 100 times. Lessons of more advanced collections are often taken only 10 times on average. This is dissapointing if you consider the time that you have to put in for advanced lessons and what you get out in points. But I do these lessons for the learners not for the points.

You’ll get much more points if you create material for beginners. Italian is not a language that is usually taught as a second language. So a lot of the learners will be beginners! I make most of my points with the beginner content. But I still create advanced lessons because it is more fun for me. Maybe you wonder why I earn so much points. OK, please notice that I’ve created more than 1,500 German lessons. And the huge number of lessons is what let me earn so many points.

The 94 French lessons from FrenchPod (uploaded in Sept. 2011) have been downloaded until today in total 4925 times, that are 52 downloads per lesson on average. The range of the lessons is from Beginner to Advanced.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/cy5n7r5

I just checked out Frenchpod…I wouldn’t use it because of its stupidly short length.

You are quite alone with this opinion, the lessons have the length that Steve recommends.

10 second / 4 sentence lessons? No, those are quite useless for me. Also, I don’t particularly care if I’m in ‘the minority’ or ‘quite alone’ on this. And Steve knows that I’ve got my own ideas and will gladly put those forth. :slight_smile: His views are not representative of what everyone likes to do - and he knows that.

Beginner material has to be at a minimum of 1:30 for me. Later, I only use longer material. 10 second material at even the early beginner level is nothing but a waste of time for me, let alone higher levels. I’m about to do a 40 minute lesson and a 50 minute lesson in Dutch (I’m at intermediate 2 going by the stats, but will be advanced 1 within the month). This sort of material gives me sufficient input to build my knowledge instead of such small lessons in which I don’t get enough repetition and context.

Being one of the few, of the only one, to hold an opinion, doesn’t diminish the worth of that opinion. On second thought, it’s a preference - not an opinion. The reason being that it’s not some sort of ideological belief that lessons should be long. Instead it’s based on what is working for me. The longer, the better.