What is your priority?

After you reach the satisfying level at listening and reading of your target language, which do you keen to improve first : speaking or writing ? why ?

I want to be able to read novels in Mandarin and German.

I’m not that interested in talking with native speakers. Knowing that is helping me focus on developing reading skills.

But if by some chance I were to meet a native German or Mandarin speaker that I really liked, I would probably redirect some energies to learning how to speak with them.

As I have more chance to write in foreign languages in the online chatrooms I concentrate more on writing though I want to practice speaking too if possible.

1 Like

Definitely speaking so I can use the language when travelling

1 Like

listening comprehension is more important to me and reading improves writing

I would prefer speaking. I usually start writing when I first start a language as it is a lot less stressful to write something even if you have mistakes, rather than speaking with mistakes in the beginning.

1 Like

Probably writing since its more useful for Chinese outside of China/Singapore/Taiwan etc. I havent really reached the point where I am focusing on either speaking or writing though. I definitely should work more on my listening skills right now as my reading skills are disproportionally stronger than any of the other 4 skills. It is, however, difficult to find interesting listening content with subtitles/accompanying text at my level

1 Like

I am in the same position, stronger reading relative to listening. Speaking in my experience comes almost naturally after strong listening.
A few days ago, I started trying to go through 5 upper intermediate chinesepod lessons per day, import the dialogue text/lesson audio here, add the vocab/translation as notes. I don’t need transcripts for what they are saying, there are maybe 10-20 additional words per podcast which they say that I need to look up by myself, but it’s usually easy to catch the pinyin. I plan to finish around 300-600 upper intermediate/advanced lessons like this, which will add up to around 100-200h of listening. Sometimes it’s boring of course but usually their discussions and explanations are interesting enough.

1 Like

Listening and reading, because the better you get at those, the easier it is to make the language part of your daily life with podcasts, books etc. Most of what we use any language for, even our native language, is passive. We watch tv, read books, go online etc. Speaking is of course nice, but actually comprises less of our interaction with the world in general and my goal is to make the languages I learn really just part of my daily existence.

2 Likes

I reach to read books, articles in my target language. Also very important is listen and finally speak. I try to concentrate on all things, because I have only one target language.

1 Like

Writing will be next thing to be focused on for me, of course I will do more reading and listening.

In my opinion, one advances much faster in his or her ability in the target language by writing instead of speaking. Writing helps organize my thought, and speaking is rather a spontaneous act in real time.

I have much to gain from writing than speaking, plus ability to write helps tremendously for one to speak better, but not the other way around.

Question : Will someone write all way to publish a book to be on NY Times Best Seller list albeit that person may lack of fluency in spoken words?

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I would like to practice speaking. But writing helps to organize thoughts and to develop speaking as well.
Unfortunately I’m too lazy doing that way.
I suppose my English skills were developed because I had to write documents and chat every day in English at work, since English is an official language in IBM.

1 Like