What is the difference between "being learnt" and "to be learnt"

I know the “being learnt” is a passive-ing form; however, “to be learnt” a passive infinitive"
However, I am asking when I use this and when the other.

For instance, what is the difference in meaning in this pair of sentence?
Due to the difficulty of English being learnt in an environment where English isn’t widely spoken I became frustrated.
Due to the difficulty of English to be learnt in an environment where English isn’t widely spoken I became frustrated."

In your particular sample the first expression would underline the process someone is in, while the second one could help you refer to the forthcoming task as a whole. Probably not the best example to show the difference, however.

" Being learned" indeed refers to the process. Example: In the country in which I live, English is being learned in an environment where the language is not widely spoken.

However, in your sentence I would change the ‘learning’ verb into active voice because you yourself are learning, not someone unspecified.

Due to the difficulty of learning English in an environment where English isn’t widely spoken, I became frustrated.

I think that your second sentence perhaps accentuates that fact that you have no alternative, and, as @eugrus, has suggested, refers to the task as a whole. If you want to learn English, you must learn it in an environment where English is not widely spoken.

Again, I would use the active voice because you are doing the learning.

Here I suggest: Because I had to learn English in an environment where English is not widely spoken, I became frustrated.

I hope this helps, rather than adds to your confusion.

Thank you so much indeed.
However, in my last two examples English is going to be learnt “by someone” who may be me or another one also lives in the environment where I live. Thus, I think it would still be a passive-ing in the first and passive infinitive in the other.
On the other hand, my example was just an example to be showing you what these tenses are. However, my primary question is as follows: When we should use an infinitive passive and passive-ing form. Take this another example, for example,
Despite the environment magnificence of this island, it still needs being developed.—>it is going to be developed “by someone”.
Despite the environment magnificence of this island, it still needs to be developed.---->it is going to be developed “by someone”.

Hoping you understand my intent.

Thanks for continuing the conversation.

You are right, everyone learning English in such a place will have the same problems.

The example you have used this time is much easier to work with, because you have not specified the subject. Anyone could do the developing. In your first example you actually said that it was you that was learning English. It is true that other English learners will have problems in such a learning environment, your sentences are actually about your own difficulties.

I found learning English frustrating because of the difficulties of learning in an environment where English is not usually spoken.

Returning to the point you are working on:

… it still needs developing or, … it still needs to be developed.

These to me are almost completely interchangeable. There could be a very slight degree of emphasis between the two structures, but the difference in meaning is so small that most speakers will not differentiate between the two, when they are composing sentences.

Others might have a different view on this matter.

Thank you very much for your reply.
However, I have noticed you said that: “…, it still needs developing” and this is not a passive-ing form. Perhaps you have accidentally written it as this construction.
On the other hand, mine is as follows:
Despite the environment magnificence of this island, it still needs being developed.—>it is going to be developed “by someone”.

In addition, you didn’t tell me when I should use generally “Passive+ing forms” and " passive infinitive forms"
Note that there are two forms for each of a passive infinitive and "Passive+ing " [being +P.P / having +been P.P]
a passive infinitive[(to)+ be+ P.P / (to) have + been + P.P]
"Passive+ing " [being +P.P / having +been P.P]

PS: Do you think the a passive+ing forms, especially “having +been P.P” is normally used in a conversation, because I have never ever heard anyone used it?

Content edited

I am awfully sorry Imy because I think I wouldn’t agree with your wife’s :…it still needs developed" because as far as I know that the verb which follows “need” must be gerund.

Content edited

To my way of thinking, ‘it still needs developing’ is a passive -ing form. The ‘being’ is not required, in fact ‘it still needs being developed’ is not normal English, at least in my lifetime experience of speaking English as a native speaker, and I have been around for quite a few years. I do not believe all grammar books give totally correct information for every situation.

If you really want to have part of the verb ‘to be’ in your sentence, you will need to use ‘it still needs to be developed’, which has virtually the same meaning as ‘it still needs developing’.

Doing a Google search for the phrase, ‘it still needs to be’, I came across the following (and your phrase here at LingQ):

While cognitive ability has its origin partly in genes, it still needs to be developed.
areas that still need to be developed.
Cell Phone Jamming Needs To Be Legalized
Rising oil subsidy needs to be addressed
More needs to be done for special needs children

and thousands more along these lines.

But in searching for ‘it still needs being’, I found:

I know it is long ago but it still needs being said. (this occurred several times, and I do admit to hearing this usage.)
It still needs being reviewed.
…no major damage but it still needs being fixed.
…but it still needs being thought over.
…nonetheless it still needs being accounted for

These, together with your phrase, were all the entries for this phrase that Google gave me. This fact means that this type of construction is rare in English. I am guessing that each of these examples implied that there was a particular reason why had not been said or done, but that it really should be done, despite this reason.

Other sources for information on this topic:

From BBC Learning English at: BBC World Service | Learning English | Grammar Challenge

‘Need + verb-ing’
Sometimes it’s useful to talk about fixing or improving things, but without saying who is going to do it. To do this, we can use need + verb-ing. Today we challenge Asae from Japan to form correct sentences using this grammar, and in return she gives William one or two pieces of advice!

You could look at this reference also: Need -Ing?

And Imy, did you really intend to type ‘it still needs developed’ or were you too tired to think properly?

Content edited