What foreign language books are you reading inside/outside Lingq? Optional: Why?

Okay I have to start myself :wink:

Greek
Σκοτεινή Πλευρά by Ian Rankin. I picked it up two years ago in Athens with the plan to use reading it as a milestone on my Greek language journey (like "one fine day I will be able to read this). A few weeks ago, I decided to mix it pagewise into my diet of preexisting Lingq lessons and imported newspaper articles and I saw that I can follow the text (with the help of this site, of course) more easily than those articles, so I am reading it much earlier than expected, even though it will take very long to finish it :slight_smile:
I scan those pages one by one with the google translate app so I get them digitized easily, and one page equals one lesson. Maybe this sounds very unhandy but I like Ian Rankin very much and the book found my interest, so obviously I have no choice :wink:

English
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. I had read some books from that period before but not this one. Some years ago, I had at least watched a film made in Italy after the book.
Around Easter this year, I spent some days with my family. At some point, we touched the topic of dreadful/ funny songs, and my sister S told us about a former habit of hers and of her children: They sang along to songs like “Wuthering Heights” by Kate Bush and others to make long car journeys more enjoyable. The former was one of their favourite laughing stocks, she said. I had barely known this song before, as far as I can recall my only contact with it was when it appeared in an annual all-time top 1000 chart show made by a radio station in southern Germany. I had wondered, too, how this strange song could have become this famous. From those scarse contacts, I hadn’t even understood much of the lyrics yet. Now I know them, because after this talk, I discovered KB’s music for myself (quite like it, now) and got accustomed to the her above mentioned first hit that had always sounded so strange. Comments on youtube spoke about how nicely the book’s atmosphere is recognizable in the song’s lyrics, so I - again - had no other choice than beginning to read the novel. Didn’t regret it :slight_smile: I like the idea of using two narrators to tell the story, the use of language, the atmosphere… A great read :slight_smile:

1 Like

Read these the last 3 weeks or so on Lingq

French:

Pietr-le-letton by Georges Simenon
L’homme qui regardait les trains by Georges Simenon
La Petite Fille de Monsieur Linh by Philippe Claudel
Sans Famille by Hector Malot
Carmen by Prosper Mérimée

I mostly read these books because they seemed fairly easy to read, they were relatively short (100-300 pgs) and the summary of the stories appealed to me in some way. I probably need a small break from french books now, but next books will probably be more challenging, possibly longer and I will probably look for non-fictions as well.

1 Like

I read Harry Potter in Spanish (understanding almost all of it) and a book called La Vida Secreta de la Mente (understanding about 90%), both outside of Lingq. I find books in Spanish about scientific topics are much easier to understand than other topics because much of the science-related vocabulary in English is of Latin origin.

I also recently read Pietr-Le-Letton, looking for a page-turner, and I really liked it. It was my first Simenon. Now I’m reading Madame Bovary. I was glad to find it’s readable at my level.

In Russian I’m reading Sofia Petrovna by Lydia Chukovskaya, a short novel about the purges in 1930s Russia, written at the time. After that, I will try to read something by Dovlatov (The Compromise, The Suitcase).

The last thing I read in German was Joseph Roth’s last book - Die Kapuzinergruft, which continues the Radetzkymarsch saga into the 1930s.

1 Like

100 jours d’enfer
Ça

I mostly read back and forth comments on Facebook or youtube because people usually write how they speak so it’s practical for spoken language.

Also just downloaded all 9000 pages of ‘L’épée de Vérité’.

I also read Madame Bovary a few months ago which I liked a lot, but it was in a Norwegian translation. I’d certainly recommend L’homme qui regardait passer le trains by Simenon (quite different from Pietr-le-Letton) if you want to try more by him

1 Like

I am presently reading Graham Greene’s short stories. In one of them, I came upon a strange word “indulgences”.