What Do you think about Philippines President?

Yesterdsy , Rodrigo Duterte said, and I quote : J’allais dans Davao avec une moto et je patrouillais dans les rues, à la recherche de problèmes. Je cherchais vraiment l’affrontement pour pouvoir tuer ".

It’s hard to understand , even a very different culture , how this is possible, he’s a President and he’s talking AS a president.

What do you think?

Is this the guy who is big on extra judicial killings of drug dealers, etc?

He who lives by the sword…

Nowadays there is nothing that could surprise me in terms of politics and human behavior.

… Dies by the sword. Kill drug dealers isn’t bad thing. Since they don’t care who they harm or kill, why should the Philippines President be nice with them. Drug dealers care only about two things: Money and Power.

That’s all true. But it cuts both ways though - if someone put an assassin’s bullet through this president dude’s skull, he’d be checking out of a game played under his own rules!

I think every nation is different, their history politically, militarily, religiously and even colonially fundamentally impacts the status quo today, President Duterte is just a by product of all these events, to simply label him a tyrannical, overlord-dictator/ next Mao Zedong or Hitler/ darth vader figure who by any means necessary is trying to obtain power is a rudimentary and underanalyzed judgment. Whether he is good or bad is not the question rather is he making the Philippines a better place? and at what cost? Are there better ways of going about things of course. I dont know whenever you look at history the pursuit and methods that one person uses to attain ‘peace/stability/prosperity’ is either praised or questioned. The truth is sometimes people sometimes are selective of when they judge the actions of other leaders, praising one and dismissing and vindicating others. They dont want to know the asking price of the leaders they praise. This is yet another complicated issue that many International Relations scholars and political science academics have. The world isnt black and white, there is no such thing as this leader is absolutely good and that leader is absolutely bad, its more complex then that.

He is completely crazy. I don’t who would vote for him.

Ehh, I have no right to judge. My Country just elected Donny Tiny hands aka President p**** grabber.

“…President Duterte is just a by product of all these events, to simply label him a tyrannical, overlord-dictator/ next Mao Zedong or Hitler/ darth vader figure who by any means necessary is trying to obtain power is a rudimentary and underanalyzed judgment…”

Yes. But who has said that?

“…The world isnt black and white, there is no such thing as this leader is absolutely good and that leader is absolutely bad, its more complex then that…”

I strongly agree with this. (And it’s a principle that I would also apply to Putin Assad, et al.)

oh that was just a response to mainstream media’s representation of him, not to anybody here.

lol

he isn;t killing just drug dealers he;s killing drug addicts ,your killing people for having and addiction and only a real simpleton isn;t seeing where this is going he will be killing off his opponents soon the governor of a state was arrested recently and charged with drug trafficking and mysteriously died in jail no one knows if it was true or not the charge

Yes Donald Trump is terrible. I think Hilary is worse, though (defending her husband after sexual assault, and defending another rapist in court, not the victim, and carelessly handling America’s top secret info). The election was like asking someone: “would you rather freeze to death or burn to death.” They r both terrible but one is (perhaps) a tiny bit less horrific.

The guy is…ehm…interesting…

No she isn’t. Trump has turned the white house into a revolving door of corruption, has built the only cabinet in the world devoted to denying climate change, and regularly has child like hissy fits because he can’t defend his brazen, insecure lies.

Ohh God…lol , it’s getting worse

He just admitted to prowling the streets and murdering his citizens. Unbelievable.

I went to Boracay just a couple months ago, though, and I gotta say, the people there are amazingly friendly. I would love to go again, but staying isolated from the “mainland” is probably a good idea.

What do I think about the president of the Phillipines? I don’t know much about him. Did he really major in law? Does he really know what criminal law stipulates about the rights of “suspects”? Was he mayor of a city somewhere in that country?

I wonder how many people who are not drug dealers have been killed by the authorities without due process after he became president. I wonder how they differentiate between drug dealers and the others because I don’t think that drug dealers wear a specific uniform.

He is definitely unfit

There are several famous online English courses in Japan that employ teachers from the Philippines. I hear that they have been a very successful business model. However, I imagine that Rodrigo Duterte’s lack of understanding about “due process” and his outrageous remarks about US President Barack Obama are causing damage to the image of the state, which may have a lot of competent English teachers. Who would want to talk with teachers from Rodrigo Duterte’s country? Can they talk freely about their president? I feel sorry for the Filipino teachers.