We have a Wiki to discuss best practices at LingQ

from Mark

“I have created an account at PBWorks, http://lingq.pbworks.com/. Over to you guys… I will have to approve your access to the wiki but will do so as quickly as I can after you apply for approval. I wasn’t sure if I should just open it up to all on the community at PBWorks since I know nothing about the site. Good luck!”

Thank you, Mark and dooo.

a trial:
http://lingq.pbworks.com/zzmemo00

Looks good, Yutaka!

Thank you, Yutaka. You have done well to kick it off!

Excellent! I have never edited and rarely even read a wiki, so it’s going to be a(nother) steep learning curve, but I would like to contribute.

This is a great initiative and I suggest anyone signing up listen to the short “common English” video about Wikis.

I am a little confused at this site. I see the list of links to the Forum. Where do our comments go. Do we have a main area or is it all called zzmemo00? We should link to LingQCentral or Help at some point, or should we not. I am a newbie.

The front page (FrontPage) is main area. It is like the introduction to the wiki. It should have the brief general idea of LingQ and the links to all the cluster of sites around LingQ (the linguist, lingqcentral, the google docs pages etc, lingq itself etc) If you want to edit the page click “Edit” which is next to “View” at the top of the screen. When you are done, click “save”.

zzmemo00, as a title, is Helen’s I think and she has used it to title a page that has links to LingQ forums. I have taken the liberty to change the name to “Links to LingQ Forums” just to make it a bit easier to identify.

When a visitor (who does not have editor access) visits the page, he will land at the FrontPage. If he is curious he can click “Pages and Files” and see the list of all the pages in the wiki that have already been created. (Right now most of them are generic page templates that PBWorks provides to get people started. The generic templates are for more conventional intra company communication so they can be deleted.) We can also create a ‘Table of Contents’ in a box on the lower right of the screen called the “sidebar”. This way all the content will be visible and acccissible on the page the visitor lands on.

How do I land on the Front Page?

It is where you are by default when you sign in

http://lingq.pbworks.com/

http://lingq.pbworks.com/zzmemo00 —>
http://lingq.pbworks.com/Links-to-LingQ-Forum-Topics

Ed,

I get to the Front Page and see this…now what?

Welcome to LingQ Wiki

This is a real workspace! Please edit this page, create new pages, and invite others to use the workspace with you.

Get Great Ideas!

* Learn what makes a good collaboration project and see how other PBworks customers are using their workspaces. Check out our PBworks educator community (not a support forum).

Need Help? We’re here for you:

* The PBworks Manual and 30-second training videos can help show you how to edit, add videos and invite users.
* The best way to get your support questions answered is to click the help link at the top of this page.  Our support gurus will get back to you asap. 

FrontPage
Edit tagsSaveor Cancel

Tags

e.g. report, new release, planning

Page Tools

This page can’t be deleted or renamed.
Insert links

Insert links to other pages or uploaded files.
Pages Images and files
Insert a link to a new page

1. Loading…

2. No images or files uploaded yet.

Insert image from URL

Tip: To turn text into a link, highlight the text, then click on a page or file from the list above.
Comments (1)
profile picture
dooo said

at 1:47 pm on Nov 17, 2009
Delete

The front page (FrontPage) is main area. It is like the introduction to the wiki. It should have the brief general idea of LingQ and the links to all the cluster of sites around LingQ (the linguist, lingqcentral, the google docs pages etc, lingq itself etc) If you want to edit the page click “Edit” which is next to “View” at the top of the screen. When you are done, click “save”.

zzmemo00, as a title, is Helen’s I think and she has used it to title a page that has links to LingQ forums. I have taken the liberty to change the name to “Links to LingQ Forums” just to make it a bit easier to identify.

When a visitor (who does not have editor access) visits the page, he will land at the FrontPage. If he is curious he can click “Pages and Files” and see the list of all the pages in the wiki that have already been created. (Right now most of them are generic page templates that PBWorks provides to get people started. The generic templates are for more conventional intra company communication so they can be deleted.) We can also create a ‘Table of Contents’ in a box on the lower right of the screen called the “sidebar”. This way all the content will be visible and acccissible on the page the visitor lands on.

1 click “Edit” which is next to “View” at the top of the screen.

2 delete everything that PBWorks has put there (select the text and press “delete”)

3 write the brief general idea of LingQ and the links to all the cluster of sites around LingQ (the linguist, lingqcentral, the google docs pages etc, lingq itself etc). Organise and format the text.

4 click “save”

5 others with editor access will add, subtract or change stuff, but all changes, including deletes, are saved and can be reversed.

Optional: make a comment in the “add comments” section below

Thanks Ed, I have started. Should we delete all the PBworks pages in the pages and files section?

Links to LingQ Forum Topics
( http://lingq.pbworks.com/Links-to-LingQ-Forum-Topics )

1. How To Be a Good Forum Member
  2. To write on the correct wall “There are no rules.”
  3. Deleting messages in the Wall?
  4. Post and Submit for Correction “My most favorite function on this site”
  5. List of tutors on writing page is not informative
  6. a bad influence? “Just keep writing and communicating.”
  7. Correcting each other?? How to learn a language on LingQ
  8. Should we send a message to the tutor? Canceling a conversation
  9. About making an appointment for a conversation
  10. Minimum Participant Requirement for Group Conversation? “There isn’t a minimum number …”
  11. I changed my native language. The native language and the dictionary language
  12. Am I Making LingQs For Myself or Others? Creating your own hint
  13. Helping people get started
  14. How to start Japanese
  15. Two extremely important questions about LingQ What does the word LingQ stand for?
  16. What is the problem with LingQ.com? “We want feedback and active participation on the forum.”

zzmemo00 is Yutaka’s I think. I just added a comment to see what happens when you edit a page.

This is a list of Frequently Asked Questions for Newbies, to help them get started with the LingQ system. It reflects the questions members asked on the forum when they were starting to use LingQ.

Links to LingQ Forum Topics

1. Seven tips on how to learn languages at LingQ. "Use the Post and Submit button, to post your comments and submit them for correction at the same time. "
  2. Post and Submit for Correction “My most favorite function on this site”
  3. List of tutors on writing page is not informative “If you haven’t got your writing back in a reasonable time.”
  4. a bad influence? “Just keep writing and communicating.”
  5. Correcting each other?? How to learn a language on LingQ
  6. Should we send a message to the tutor? Canceling a conversation
  7. About making an appointment for a conversation "Do you have any guidelines about the deadline for making an appointment for a conversation? "
  8. Minimum Participant Requirement for Group Conversation? “There isn’t a minimum number …”
  9. Having a Friend be my Tutor "Nothing prevents you from talking to each other via Skype. "
  10. I changed my native language. The native language and the dictionary language
  11. How To Be a Good Forum Member "You can determine who you want to see your email address and other contact information. "
  12. To write on the correct wall “There are no rules.”
  13. Deleting messages in the Wall? “A message in my Wall that is clearly spam”
  14. Am I Making LingQs For Myself or Others? Creating your own hint
  15. How to start Japanese "Hiragana and Katakana are Japanese alphabets. "
  16. Two extremely important questions about LingQ What does the word LingQ stand for?
  17. What is the problem with LingQ.com? “We want feedback and active participation on the forum.”

Misc.
* The importance of words (Steve Kaufmann) *
How To Import Texts to LingQ *
the lazy person’s guide to being a good tutor *
Seven tips on how to learn languages at LingQ (Steve Kaufmann)

( http://lingq.pbworks.com/Links-to-LingQ-Forum-Topics )

I suppose that the “Comments” column is unnecessary on the FrontPage, because the FrontPage is the “front door” to the inside wiki pages. What do you think?

I don’t understand. Why does a “front door” page not need comments?