Video: If you don't know the word for shoelace, you are not fluent

@Allisson

I recognize myself in what you say. Although it often turns out that what I wanted to say first was correct, I spend a lot of time on a text in English. I often refrain from posting when I know that I won’t have enough time to go over my post. I feel much more comfortable in Spanish or Portuguese, and I’m sure it would be the same in Arabic even though my vocabulary is pretty limited (laziness…). So is it because English is my first foreign language? Or because so many people speak English and therefore I unconsciously think I should write perfectly?

@Evgueny: “…I consider that 70% of native speakers are also only C1 speakers and even B2 speakers, not C2!..”

@CPJ: “…I looked at the contents of a C2 German exam, and it seemed to me that a lot of what was being tested was the person’s level of education, and not just their command of the language…”

I agree. It may be true that many natives wouldn’t pass a C2 exam in their own language! (Having said that, these same people would probably have a very rich command of idioms, slang, “street language”, etc - all of which a non-native learner of the language could almost never hope to learn…)

Personally I don’t think it is necessary to be examined formally in a target language above level C1. Having reached C1, one is able to watch TV and read books for pleasure in the language. In my opinion, this is by far the best way to improve above C1.

THe most of students strive for getting C2 because they don’t understand that B2 and even B1 are also VERY GOOD LEVELS!!!
For example B1 calls for knowledge of 8,000 words - not only lingqing how we’ve got accusmed here, but have a real good command of all these words - comprehention by listening, usage by conversation, write a report of 400 words for 20 minutes and to be able to write a formal, a semi-formal and an informal letter of 150 words for 15 minutes.
Try to do it, please! And you’ll see that it ia difficult also for an average native speaker!
For the test of B2 you must know 12,000-13,000 words, write a report of 500-600 words and a letter of 200-250 words with a very good spelling.
And if you know 20,000 words, but you can use them properly, you never will be able to pass the test for B1 or B2.

I do not think that one particular word is much of a predictor of fluency. For example, I know the French word for ice cream cone (cornet) because I struggled with it one afternoon at a Paris Baskin & Robbins. I know a lot of strange and odd words from different situations and books I have read. Ask me the right words and you would think I was a genius (aka the movie Slumdog Millionaire).

I think it would be an interesting idea if as a group (perhaps in a separate thread) we could put together a list of around 100-200 functional situations for practice, learning and self-evaluation purposes (or perhaps, like everything else, such a list already exists on the internet). The idea would be that you would be given a scenario (and this works better if someone else picks the scenario so you have to respond quickly to something outside your comfort zone or to a situation that you may not have otherwise thought about) and then you have to respond (aloud and to yourself) in the foreign language.

In doing the task you will improve your ability to express unknown vocabulary through circumlocutions (as Anthony describes in the video) and then, of course, you can later look up any words or expressions you discover you do not know or cannot remember. In other words, you gain confidence that you can handle certain tasks and you fill in vocabulary gaps.

Since these exercises are conducted alone, they need to be structured around you asking for or explaining something (in real life, the response may baffle you, but the point here is to practice speaking, build confidence and identify needs). Some will be easy while others may be much more complicated.

Examples (these situations can be fictitious, but real-life situations that you have experienced would be optimal):

[To keep things neat, I’m going to start a new thread [Fictional Scenarios for Functional Fluency Practice], so if you are interested, you can add to the list there] Link to new thread: Fictional Scenarios For Functional Fluency Practice - Lan...

You are abroad and cut your finger. You enter a pharmacy. You greet the employee and ask where you can find some band aids.

A friend is coming to visit you. Explain how to get from the airport to your home.

You were mugged while walking down the street. You enter the local police station. Explain to the officer what happened (make up as many details as you can - what the thief looked like, what he said, what was stolen from you, etc.).

A meteor crashes in front of your hotel. The local news media arrive and ask you to describe what happened (what did you hear and see).

You are on a local talk show. They ask you how you learned the language and what you think the most difficult part of the language is.

Someone asks you about your favorite book. Describe the book and tell them why it is your favorite.

Someone asks about a movie your saw, but hated. Tell them why you hated this movie and why you recommend they not see it.

Darn! Your shoelaces broke and you need new ones. You enter a local shoe store. Tell the clerk that you are not here to buy shoes, but that your shoelaces broke and you need a new pair.

You want to make an apple pie, but the apples at the supermarket look rotten. Tell this to the grocer and ask if they have any other apples in the store and that you need a dozen.

As your group’s discussion moves toward politics, someone mentions the gay marriage issue in your country and asks you to explain. Tell them what you know. Someone completely disagrees with your point of view. Present them with your counterargument.

You are attending a funeral, but the person who was supposed to give the eulogy is sick and cannot attend. You are asked to take their place. Give a short speech about this person.

You are at the airport and a couple who speaks your foreign language are having difficulty understanding the directions provided by the agent. Explain to this couple that their flight has been delayed due to bad weather, that they are being given free accommodations at a hotel for the evening and that their flight will take off tomorrow morning. They will also be given vouchers/coupons for food.

Inform the person working at the front desk of the hotel that the picture on your television is very snowy and that you need more toilet paper.

You are at a dinner party and someone informs you that a close relative of theirs recently died. Express your condolences.

Someone is curious about the health care or tax system in your country. Give them your opinion of the current system and how it could be improved.

You’ve brought your laptop with you on a trip, but you can’t use the charger because the plug outlet is different. Ask the person at the front desk if they have an adapter you can use or where you can get one.

Tell the clerk at the bank that you will like to withdraw $200.00 from your checking account.

A friend asks about the immigration situation in your home country. Tell them about it and give them your opinion.

Please add to this list here: Fictional Scenarios For Functional Fluency Practice - Lan...

Darn, and I just spent all weekend memorizing the word for shoelace in 36 languages.