Very interesting interview with an interpreter!

name of the podcast: Amanda Galsworthy 23July10

President Sarkozy’s official interpreter Amanda Galsworthy has sat at the top table of international politics for nearly three decades, but her name has hardly ever appeared in print. It is part of her job to know everything, but to tell no one. Amanda Galsworthy has been the official interpreter for three French Presidents, Francois Mitterand, Jacques Chirac and now Nicolas Sarkozy. She talks to Owen Bennett-Jones about some of the extraordinary situations she’s found herself in as the President’s mouthpiece

I normally don’t bother with English podcasts, but this one is fascinating! Thank you, Berta.

I’m glad you liked it Sanne ;))))))

Ho yeah, a really interesting podcast, but how speed they speak ! ! ! I didn’t get everythink. I will listen another time.
Thanks

yes Cecile It’s a pity that they don’t make transcripts :frowning:

It was absolutely amazing! I dare say, the whole report is fairly understandable with intermediate knowledge. Not all words, but all sentences. I envy her knovledge! I cannot imagine how can sy speak so many lanuages such a high level. The simultaneous translator profession is beyond belief :slight_smile:

Thanks Berta! Viva Espana :slight_smile:

Outstanding! What I find really interesting is how passionate she sounds when speaking about her job.

Next World Cup: Ireland versus the Neanderthals…

This was awesome! I really enjoyed this! Thank you!

I’m glad you all liked it!

What do you think about sending each sibling to a different school to learn each of them a different language? I’m not sure if she says if she knew German and talked to her brother in German. Or if her brother spoke french too.

I liked it too. Thanks, Berta.

I don’t think it was extreme to send them to different schools. I’ve heard of and known people whose parents tried similar things-one was a professor of Italian, another a professor of French.

At least they worked at universities in the language departments. I don’t know if they were “full” professors or not. Probably you know about the Berlitz story…

mmm I didn’t find extreme to send them to different schools, just the fact that they all went to different language schools, one with everything in german, other in french and the other one in spanish. Instead of sending them all to learn the same language. Not that this is bad or anything, just strange.

No Mait I don’t know the Berlitz story

Thank you Berta for this great interview. Without commenting on the idea of sending four children to four different language schools and speaking different languages at home (not something I would do), what I most like about the interview is the fact that Berta shared it with us, and that we have a wonderful community of people here at LingQ who are sharing their interest in languages.

Sometime in the future we should be so lucky as to have a convention, where we meet all day long and every evening, hopefully in the summer in Spain where it is warm at night and we can eat late, outdoors, enveloped in the fragrance of the Dama de noche flowers, and just talk about language and human creativity and the natural human desire to communicate across all cultural barriers.

About Charles Berlitz:

" As a child, Charles was raised in a household in which (by his father’s orders) every relative and servant spoke to Charles in a different language: he reached adolescence speaking eight languages fluently. In adulthood, he recalled having the childhood delusion that every human being spoke a different language, and wondering why he did not have his own language like everyone else in his household. His father spoke to him in German, his grandfather in Russian, his nanny in Spanish." source: Wikipedia

There is also the real story “Cheaper By the Dozen” (the original) where the father made the kids learn European languages through some of the earliest recorded language courses, I believe. I don’t know how much they learned, but it’s evident that people even in the early twentieth century were using the available technology and thinking about how to create bilingual/trilingual kids.

I often meet parents who want to introduce their kids to languages and they pay quite a bit to send them to language schools or private lessons.

Even if there are many mistakes, I can try to make transcripts when listening to relatively easy interviews such as “La danse des mots” by Yvon Amar, on Radio France International, etc . But listening a bit, I realized that it was absolutely impossible for me to make them. I will listen another time, too.

I don’t mind making a transcript if the BBC allows it. If someone wants to check my punctuation or to see if I used the correct cricket term, I wouldn’t mind. The question is: Would the BBC allow LingQ to use this?

I do not think that the BBC would allow us to share the transcript in our Library. I guess sharing the transcript amongst a few members via email would not bother them.