Very Incorrect Word Count

For extensive reading I recommend to turn the highlighting off - under Settings > Reader. This way LingQ can function as normal e-reader.
You can still look up words and/or create LingQs by tapping the words. Any blue words will be moved to the “known” category, but that should be immaterial, since you don’t see them as blue words anyways. I don’t understand why anyone would want to preserve blue words? A “known” word doesn’t get lost, it can still be looked up.

I had already sent him a screenshot about it on the Spanish challenge but probably that email got lost.

I think the incremental counter will help a lot-maybe with the option of doing 1x and .1x increments. Possibly a “reset to 0” option too??

On the whole I think I’m liking the auto read counter. It does catch those times where I’m re-reading a bit if I re-enter the lesson (that’s maybe another issue where LingQ sets you back some number of pages from where you really left off).

I do also think it would be good to have the option to turn off auto counting and allow the user to increment by hand…either with the “completion” of a lesson or the counter. Some people just straight up don’t like the auto counter.

Although I think I like it overall, there are times I wish I could turn it off. Sometimes I don’t want to re-read a full lesson. I like to skip to the yellow words and read them in context. I think if I were to do this now, my words read count would balloon like crazy. If there was a way to turn it off, then I could do this activity, but even the finer incremental counter changes would help a lot here too.

I like the idea of actually tracking the words you know. If you don’t know the word, then marking it as ‘known’ destroys the statistic. If all that statistics had an inaccuracy of 50%, they wouldn’t be very useful. Having confidence in the data (words read, hours listened, known words) is a prerequisite of using the statistics as motivation. For many, statistics provide a strong motivation to practise everyday and over the long journey of learning the language (especially at the beginning, where it’s a bit of a grind, least to say). Obviously, you have other motivations for learning the language, but the statistics, the gamification, supplement them. This is a very positive thing (because personally, and from others, I know how powerful this motivation is) and the power of digital technology, and tools such as LingQ, allows for accurate, real-time tracking of them.

With regards to extensive reading, it’s a valuable method of language learning, but if it destroying your statistics on LingQ (read creating inaccuracy and reducing your confidence in its accuracy), it is also destroying one of your motivational tools. It’s true that LingQ predominately focus on intensive reading, but it can also be used to read extensively. As long as it doesn’t destroy your statistics (motivation) in the process. This is the exact thought behind the forum post I read who didn’t use the ‘complete lesson’ button.

@tiagosalvador Not sure if you are still aware (I put it one of the other threads, but I didn’t get any confirmation that it was read), but the wordcount is still having issues, even since the most recent updates.

On browser (haven’t tested Android): The minus symbol (-) in the statistics of a lesson does NOT update the total wordcount. It’s the same problem as before. It is merely superficial and doing it seems not to save. The plus symbol (+) updates the total wordcount, but the minus symbol (-) does absolutely nothing. I checked this by having a second tab open of my profile and refreshing it to see if it updates my wordcount for today.

An example:
I have two tabs open: one is a lesson, which I just finished reading, and the second is of my profile, where I can see my statistics.
The lesson statistics says read 2.8x (I’ve only read it in fact 2.0x…) and my daily wordcount is 2563.
I press (-) so the lesson is down to 2.7x, refresh my second tab, and see my daily wordcount is still 2563.
I press (+) so the lesson is up to 3.7x, refresh my second tab, and see my daily wordcount is 3570.

As you can see (+) works, but (-) does absolutely nothing to my real wordcount.

Thank you for the feedback. I work on the Android application only, but I will pass this internally. Let me know if the Android app has similar issues.

Thank you. The (-) seems to work on Android. Awesome! So I can go in and remove some of the inflated counts from using the web version. Thanks!