Various tips

(I suppose there might be such thread somewhere, but I can’t find…)

Let’s share our tips of using LingQ.

Now I am focusing on using articles in English. I try to notice all "a"s and "the"s in the text when I read, that’s why I lingqed them (without any hint). Now all of them are highlighted with yellow, and I think it will help me to notice them.

What is your tips?

I suppose I could use a similar approach for Russian - concentrate on one case or one prefix or whatever - thank you.

I am not sure that it will work in Russian, as LingQ does not highlight parts of words. But it will work for working on Russian weird usage of the negative particle “не” :))

Yes, I see your point. Would tagging be best for case endings? (Wouldn’t it be nice if we could highlight grammar LingQs in pink or orange or green or purple?)

Oh yes, it would be really nice to have an opportunity to customise highlighting according to the tags!

And endings… Hmm… yes, I also use tags. You know I am now learning Bashkirian. And in this language you can describe a complex thing with just a one word. Oh, it is very interesting! But it is really confusing, if you are a beginner. I just don’t know what part of the new word is a root.
for example.
бала - a child
балалар - children
балаларым - my children
балаларымдың - my children’s
So, I just find a grammar tables and imported all examples to the vocabulary section. Then I tagged them: singular/plural, my/yours/his, a case, etc. And now, when I can’t understand the case of a word, i.e. айыуҙар, I open the vocabulary section and search for *ҙар. And LingQ shows me other examples with such suffix, and I realise that it is 1 of 6 (or even more) pluralising suffixes.

Steve has suggested using the search function in Vocabulary to search for case endings (or verb forms). I just tried this out entering *им, *ом, *ой, etc. This give you long lists of examples from texts you have read. Of course you get a mixture of noun cases and verb forms, but you have the hint to distinguish them. But don’t take the page number (of search results) too seriously.
In Spanish you could study subjunctives in this way I guess (*ara).

I find that the case endings are easier learned by focusing on the endings rather than on the cases or genders. I am tired tonight will comment more on this. What I read and hear are the endings. Rather than trying to remember the genitive feminine ending, or the endings for a particular noun, I find it more useful to learn the different cases that apply to specific endings. So I am focusing on endings. More later.