Using Asian Slots for European Languages

Great Idea Iri!

A super bonus for content provider would be a nice incentive!

I can make LingQs on my Amharic lessons that I have imported into Latin. I do have to look everything up in an online dictionary or ask an Amharic speaker. In every other way the LingQs work the same as those for German or Spanish.
Also, a huge ā€˜Thank youā€™ to you Vera. Now others are following your lead and there are very many excellent German lessons in the library. I still listen to your lessons a lot, as well as listening to podcasts from German radio and reading both paper and electronic books. Brilliant!!

@ Ginkgo

Sooner or later you will need to start using one of the Asian slots for German once your German slot is full. I wonder what happens when you get to 100,000 known words. By the way, what is the average number of new words that you see when you open a lesson? Does it ever get really high?

I didnā€™t know there was a limit.
The number of new words depends on the subject matter. There are almost always some new words. I am now trying to identify all ā€˜non-wordsā€™, non-German words or proper names and press the ā€˜xā€™ key, but I sometimes forget. I read masses of material of all kinds. Example: ā€˜Der Schatz auf der BrĆ¼ckeā€™ has 3 new words. An article on ā€˜Hermann der Lahme, Mƶnch des Klosters Reichenauā€™ that I imported, came up with 44 new words. The number of new words does not concern me, I just read the text. I can often work out the meaning of a new word from other words that I know that have a connection with the word I am reading, otherwise I look up the word in Google translate or Reverso. make the LingQ anyway and enjoy the process of reading and/or listening to interesting material.
If my German slot does get full, can I delete some of my words? I have tried to delete all of them and start again, but this does not work unless I relinquish my subscription.

Basically, I am very lazy in my learning. I donā€™t write much, although I am sure it would help me, and I havnā€™t talked much with tutors because I get nervous and cannot remember the names of my granchildren or my childrenā€™s ages, or words I have known for ages in German. perhaps when I return to live in Australia I will join a German class, this might be good for me.

I was joking about the slot getting full. I donā€™t think there is a limit.

Thanks Colin. Anyway, I am interested in Chinese, and have sort of dabbled in that language. At present, however, I have not enough time as I am busy teaching Chemistry most of the time. I am also teaching some clarinet, saxophone, trumpet and flute and improving my rather basic skills on French horn.

By the way, Hermann der Lahme, Mƶnch des Klosters Reichenau, was a very interesting and extremely intelligent man. He was born in 1013 and was very severely handicapped. His parents put him in the Reichenau Convent at the age of 7 where he lived until his death in 1054. Despite hardly being able to talk or write, he wrote treatises on mathematics, astronomy and time and music. He also wrote hymns and antiphons, such as a ā€œSalve Reginaā€ that is still sung today. I heard about him on a podcast somewhere and looked him up in Google.

If we get a lot of content for a new language, as was the case with Jardaā€™s work in Czech, we will probably add the language. And while there are not a lot of people studying Czech, Jarda has earned quite a few points fromo his contributions to the library, and continues to do so every month. I think the same would be true for other Beta languages. There is also less competition from other content providers in the Beta languages.

I understand that Czech is not so popular. It is a relatively small country, and the number of people speaking it is very low compared to other languages. And no special reason came to my mind why someone could be interested in learning it beside personal reasons. Same for some other of the beta languages.

But a popular and widely spoken language like arabic should work properly.

Here a list of the 30 most spoken languages:

I think this could help to get an impression which languages could become very interested.

Another point is that it looks like Iā€™m always getting lots of point, but compared to the effort Iā€™ve put in it is really low. Iā€™ve lots of lessons, especially for intermediate and advanced learners that were taken less than 100 times, and often less than 20 times. The average number of points that you get for a lesson taken 20 times are about 20-30 points for a lesson. So to be honest to make lessons for the points only make in general no sense.

The only language where you have better chances is English because a lot of people are learning English here.

True Vera, that the points do not really compensate our providers for the effort put in. In that sense we really appreciate these contributions. However, the points are a small token of appreciation and provide some small reward on an ongoing basis.

Surprisingly, Dutch, Polish, Romanian and Czech are all more popular here at LingQ than Arabic. You can check this out at the Exchange page.

Steve, this is because of the technical problems with Arabic, like Jolanda has explained in a former post. It is not possible to create LingQs in Arabic lessons. Iā€™m sure Arabic would be much more popular if it would work properly.

Jolanda wrote:
"The LingQ system is not able to make LingQs from vowels in Arabic and Hebrew. And if you study for example this course :

Login - LingQā€¦
It would be fine if LingQ could use the different script (characters,letters)with vowels and without. so we will be able to use this languages!And Arabic and Hebrew are written from right to left! It would be really nice if some of you would find the time to change this settings!"

@steve

ā€œSurprisingly, Dutch, Polish, Romanian and Czech are all more popular here at LingQ than Arabic.ā€

ā€œBeta languages havenā€™t shown to be used muchā€

It is because there are a lot of technical problems!

The LingQ system is not able to make LingQs from vowels in Arabic and Hebrew. And if you study for example this course :

Login - LingQā€¦
It would be fine if LingQ could use the different script (characters,letters)with vowels and without. so we will be able to use this languages!And Arabic and Hebrew are written from right to left! It would be really nice if some of you would find the time to change this settings!

It is working for listening and reading but not for LingQing.

You expect more students on the beta languages!! but how can we use it ,if it is not working?

Das ist ein Teufelskreis!!! ohne Ende!! ??

I see 138 persons had open this Hebrew lesson but nobody tells that it is not possible to make LingQs!!! I do not understand why people are not interested in improve the system!

j:-)

@Vera

Thanks for the support!

we wrote on the same time!

j:-)

Guys guys guysā€¦ youā€™re doing it all wrong. Let me show you how itā€™s done.

@Steve. Comon Steve. Learn Arabic. I bet you canā€™t. Too hard, right? Thatā€™s what Clugston says. Chicken. Bawk bawk bawk.

Ahh but seriously, we just need to get Steve to learn Arabicā€¦ and then LingQ will move it to a supported language.

@Spatterson

Well, he did learn Czech and Romanian. Those are still beta. It does sounds like Czech has a lot of stuff for a beta language.

Okay. Allow me to rephrase. If Steve wants to learn Arabic, Arabic would actually work on LingQ. Maybe not a ā€œfully-supportedā€ languageā€¦ but functional

I support your rephrasing, and Steveā€™s learning of Arabic (or Hebrew).

You all overestimate my influence here. I may, however, start Arabic in the new year. We will see.

Hello!

Iā€™ve read through this thread and liked some of the ideas posed.

I agree that most probably Arabic is not being as popular as expected due to lack of content and poor functionality. I, too, think that building a sound library and fully functional system are essentials to start with; and not the other way around. For instance, I came to LingQ (a couple of years ago) mainly to learn French, so what if I had found very limited content? I would have searched another method to learn my target language. So one important point to bear in mind is that most people have a language that they target; they donā€™t first open the list of the languages offered and choose one.

The technical problems associated with Arabic also make it harder for the content provider in terms of text editing before uploading. For almost all of the limited number of lessons I added to the library, I used to open it and check the translation provided by google translate and it was incorrect (or out of context) in most cases. So, I used to LingQ every new word to serve as a hint for potential users.

That was the problem.