Users tips on getting more out of LingQ

Here is the fist from Dooo on how to review flash cards in reverse, from the meaning in your own language back to the original word or phrase you saved.

Dooo said on this subject.

a quick and dirty work-around is to shorten the window vertically and scroll down so the top of the flashcard is hidden-- where the keyword appears-- then click until the hint is visible and the keyword is hidden at the top.

Then guess the keyword and then scroll up to check your answer … it helps if you have a wheel-type scroller on your mouse.

I commented as follows:

Dooo,

You are a genius!!!

That is a great way to review flash cards. In fact if you leave the phrase visible you can usually figure out which (one) of the words in the captured phrase is the answer. Most of the time you do not need to scroll up to the Hint.

Now let’s hear from other users. Tell us the things that you do at LingQ. Share with other users.

Actually credit goes to Lylandra for that work around. She posted it on August 22, 2008 07:34AM.

I confess I don’t use the flashcards, I learn vocabulary straight from the vocabulary list. You either work down the left-hand side of the page (words and phrases in your target language) or alternatively work down the right-hand side of the page (words and phrases in your native language). I bump them up a status if I am confident I recognise the word, or if it’s a simple transliteration of a word in my own language then I may bump it straight up to status 4.

The following are ways to get more out of your writing assignments which I am copying from another thread:

1. Deliberately choose more difficult topics to write about, ones that force you to describe specific things or processes in detail.

2)Just write a list of diverse sentences that contain forms, grammar or vocab, that you want to try out or that you are not sure of. Make sentences complex enough to provide the corrector the general context. You will then be targeting forms that you want, without lots of filler.

1. Write essays or stories in a word processor. Just cut and paste the sentences of the essay that you feel less sure about into the writing screen, (along with any context needed for basic comprehension).

2. Get a grammar checking program, either as part of your word processor or maybe there is a commercially available option. Before submitting, run your writing through the grammar checker. If it finds a lot of mistakes that you are not sure about how to fix, then submit the writing to a human being (your tutor), and you will be really ready to absorb their technical feedback.

Useful add-ons/extension if you have Firefox 2 or higher:

qtl ultralite: ***** (five stars!)

This is great! This gives surprisingly good translations from French to English, of both words and phrases (I haven’t tried other languages yet). You just select the word(s) and the translation appears automatically in the url field. I often find it faster and more convenient than using the LingQ definitions. It is definitely more useful when looking up phrases from French to English. Please let us know how it works if you are studying other languages.

word reference translator: ****

For me, this loads faster than the Word-Reference link provided when you LingQ. You select a word, right-click it, and click the Word-Reference option in the right-click menu.

kanjlish: ***1/2

This is for keeping up with basic Kanji meanings when you read English. It automatically turns the first letter on each word on the English page to a basic kanji that corresponds to the meaning of the word. For example “in” becomes “中n” or “study” becomes “学tudy”. It uses Heisig meanings but there are some options to meaning system you want to use. It can get annoying but it is easy to turn on and off depending on your mood.

To use these you need to have Firefox 2.0 or higher, click Tools> Add-ons> Get Firefox Add-ons and search.